Dear Bunmi,

My husband is a bully and the kids and I are scared of him to the point that I can no longer bear it . He beat the  kid often and has threatened to deal with me if I leave. The only thing is that I don’t have anyone to turn to. My mother lives in our hometown and I’ve lost contact with all my friends. Please help.

Uju by e-mail.


I receive loads of letters from abused women all the time and they almost always say that they have “no one to turn to.” This is because as part of the abuse, the man has cut off his partner’s contact with other people. The first  thing you need to do urgently is to get to know other people. Keep in touch with your mum and make friends with people around you. With outside help, you  would get your confidence back enough to cope with your marriage.

I’m not saying you should not take your husband’s threat seriously. But  with support, you’ll get more confidence. If need be, alert the police, who could  ask him to keep the peace. In the end, to keep your sanity, you might have to  leave. This might even be a wake-up call for your husband to want to save the marriage.

Share your problems and release your burden. Write now to Dear Bunmi,
Vanguard Newspapers, P.M.B 1007, Apapa, Lagos, or [email protected]

Subscribe to our youtube channel


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.