The National Judicial Council (NJC) may have had a rethink on its position and resolve to investigate complaints of corruption against some judges.
The Chief Justice of Nigeria and Chairman National Judicial Council, Justice Mahmud Mohammed, has been reportedly said that he would forward recommendations on the investigation to appropriate authorities.
The spokesman to the CJN said in a statement that as soon as such investigations were completed, appropriate recommendations would be made to the President or Governors who would have the final say on the affected judicial officers.
He further stated that the judges would be charged for the offences disclosed from the facts against them and be prosecuted if necessary.
Some of the officials are those arrested few weeks ago by Department of State Services (DSS) and huge sums of money recovered from some of them.
The Chief Justice of Nigeria had condemned the sting operations carried out by the Department of State Services (DSS) on October 7 and October 8.
He said it was a clear assault on the independence of the Nigerian Judiciary.
The Justice also flayed the Nigerian Bar Association, for its advice to suspend the judges for the period of their travail in the interest of justice.
He said that the DSS has yet to forward any complaint or any official communication regarding the seven Judicial Officers to the National Judicial Council.
Justice Mohammed further said that some of the affected Judicial Officers had already been investigated by the NJC, which found some culpable and recommended their removal from office by dismissal or retirement to the President and respective Governors as provided under the Constitution.
The NJC said that it would be unlawful for it to yield to the call by the NBA, as “that position breaches the 2014 revised judicial discipline regulations formulated by NJC pursuant to section 160 of the 1999 constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, as amended”.