*Elects Funke Egbemode as Acting President
The Nigerian Guild of Editors has expressed concern over the poor state of the Nigerian economy just as it condemned the continued vandalization of oil facilities in the Niger Delta region.
The body also elected Mrs Funke Egbemode, the Managing Director/Editor in Chief, Telegraph Newspaper, as its Acting President after its former president, Garba Deen Muhammad, voluntarily relinquished his position following his appointment as the Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division of the NNPC.
In a communique issued at the end of its 2nd quarterly Standing Committee meeting of the year on Friday, July 8, 2016, in Abuja, the Guild resolved as follows:-
- The Guild notes with concern that the economy is largely in a bad shape showing signs of recession, as statistics of unemployment is worsening while the future looks bleak. It therefore urges the Federal Government to take urgent steps to revitalise the economy in the area of job and wealth creation in order to alleviate the suffering of the masses.
- The Guild condemns in strong terms the vandalism of oil facilities in the Niger Delta region and calls for dialogue by creating avenues to engage the various agitators in order to address their concerns.
In the same vein it also urges the agitators to embrace dialogue.
3.The Guild also notes with concern the increasing spate of kidnapping across the country and calls sn the new Inspector-General of Police to come up with more proactive measures to curb the menace.
- It, however, commends the gallantry of the Nigerian military in its fight against terrorism in the north east and the recovery of territories from the insurgents and urges government to pursue the anti-terrorism fight with more vigour until peace is fully restored to the troubled area.
- The Guild expresses concern over the pathetic living condition of IDPs and calls on government, corporate organisations, individuals and international agencies to come to their aid.
- The Standing Committee elected Mrs Funke Egbemode, the Managing Director/Editor in Chief, Telegraph Newspaper, as its Acting President after Garba Deen Muhammad voluntarily relinquished his position following his appointment as the Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division of the NNPC.
The communique was signed by Mrs Egbemode and Victoria Ibanga, its General Secretary.