By Ajewole Oluwatosin & Olubunmi Owoeye
Three-year-old Darasimi Ogunwumi, who allegedly drank acid, seems to have been abandoned by the authorities of the school where Darasinmi was said to have taken the deadly substance, according to the mother.
Mrs Toyin Ogunwumi told Sunday Vanguard, on Friday, that the authorities of Fahsal Children School, Ilupeju Estate, Idiroko, Ogun State had not visited her son since last November after he was admitted at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idi Araba, Lagos. According to the mother, the only effort made by the school towards the boy’s recovery was the N30,000 it sent to the family.
Efforts to reach the proprietress of the school, identified as Mrs Fahsat Abubakar, at the weekend, to respond to Mrs Ogunwumi’s claim, proved abortive as the person who picked Sunday Vanguard calls to her phone, said she was not available.
Meanwhile, the mother said Darasinmi was due for two surgeries last week, saying one was done while the other was outstanding. Saying the boy was responding to treatment, Mrs Ogunwumi said: ‘’We were told to do some tests on him at Me Cure Health Centre, Oshodi. The results are already with doctors. So, we are waiting for the next line of treatment and the secondary surgery’’. The mother expressed her appreciation to well-meaning Nigerians who had donated in aid of the treatment of Darasimi, and added that the family would appreciate more donation as the boy’s treatment was still far from being over. The victim, recuperating at ward E4 of LUTH, was said to have, out of thirst, drank acid in place of water in school’s laboratory while the Parent Teacher Association(PTA) was on.