Breaking News

Death of school proprietress, biz partner in hotel room

By Emem Idio

YENAGOA –THE Amungo Family of Adubabiri compound in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, has appealed to the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Solomon Arase,  to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death of Mrs. Ebiegberi Ejor (nee Amungo).   In a petition signed by Dr. Ebimo Amungo,  on behalf of the family, they stated that they have lost faith in the ability of officers at the Rivers State Police Command to find the true killers and determine probable cause of the death of Mrs. Ejor, who, the family believes, was murdered with her business partner.

Details of death

Late Mrs. Ebiegberi Ejor
Late Mrs. Ebiegberi Ejor

In the revealing petition, the family gave full details of how Mrs. Ejor, the proprietress of Ebilabelle Fashion House and Big Sky School, was found dead by the police in a hotel room with her business partner. This is  contrary to news earlier released to the public that she was abducted and murdered by hoodlums sponsored by political opponents of her husband.

According to the family, “ On the 6th of July, 2015, the Manager of Ugalink Hotel, situated in 9/11 Odumini Lane, Road 24 Extension A, Agip Estate, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, reported to the Ada George Road Police Division, the discovery of two dead persons in one of the rooms of the hotel allegedly owned by a top law maker in the state.

“It was further disclosed that a police team sent from the division identified the dead persons as Mrs. Ebiegberi Ejor (nee Amungo); a 41 year-old mother of four children married to a prominent business man in Rivers State and former chairman of Eleme Local government (names withheld). The deceased male was identified as Mr. Freedom Rondue Harrison, a Nigerian-born, France-based, known business associate of Mrs. Ejor’s.

They were both found naked on the floor in the position of an embrace with the shower in-between their bodies at the entrance of the shower cubicle.

Police begin investigation

“The policemen at the scene took pictures of the deceased, their clothing and other evidence in the hotel room. Then Commissioner of Police in the state went personally to the husband’s  residence to inform him of his wife’s death on the evening of 6th of July. Two persons were sent to the hotel room to confirm the identity of the deceased.

One was a close aide of the decease d’s husband and the other was Mrs. Ejor’s mother.  Thereafter, the policemen evacuated the corpses to the morgue at the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital (UPTH) and both bodies were embalmed.”

The family further stated that “on Tuesday, 7th July, 2015, the Commissioner of Police secured a magistrate’s order for an autopsy to be conducted on Mrs. Ejor and on Wednesday, July 8th, the autopsy was conducted at UPTH by one Dr. Obiorah and was witnessed by a representative of the deceased’s husband, and the  younger brother of the deceased.  The report of the autopsy concluded that Mrs. Ejor died of electrocution.

Family rejects autopsy

“However, we reject the theory of the police that both deceased were electrocuted while having a bath together in the hotel shower cubicle.  This is because from what we gathered so far, both Mrs. Ejor and Mr. Harrison were murdered and their bodies planted in the hotel room in a manner to create the impression that they were electrocuted while having a bath.

The theory of electrocution while having a bath is spurious and hard to believe, especially with evidence at the scene, and crucially, evidence on the photographs supplied by the police,” the family stated, accusing the policemen investigating the case of showing “gross negligence and incompetence” for a number of reasons which they listed to include; “the fact that the whole basis of the police investigation so far is directed towards only one conclusion-which is that both deceased were electrocuted while having a bath  in the shower.”


The family is, therefore, praying the Inspector-General of Police to appoint a seasoned police officer outside the Rivers State Police Command to investigate the death of Mrs. Ejor and Mr. Harrison. They also requested that a second autopsy be conducted on the deceased, adding that the IGP should direct the police to investigate the deaths of the victims as murders and apprehend those responsible.



Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.