Fifa president Sepp Blatter has confirmed he will run for a fifth term in next year’s elections.
The Swiss, who has headed the footballing body since 1998, is expected to gain re-election following Uefa chief Michel Platini’s decision not to stand.
“I would make an official declaration definitely in September now when we have the executive committee,” Blatter told the Soccerex convention by way of video interview. “I will inform the executive committee. It’s a question of respect also to say then to the football family, ‘Yes I will be ready. I will be a candidate.’”
He continued: “You see a mission is never finished, and my mission is not finished. And I have told the Fifa Congress, I have told the congresses of the confederations.
Then I got through the last congress in Sao Paulo not only the impression but the support of the majority, a huge majority of national associations asking ‘Please go on, be our president also in future.’”
Blatter will formalise his candidacy when the Fifa executive committee meets in Zurich on September 25-26.
Platini announced last month he would not pursue the Fifa presidency contrary to earlier speculation he may challenge Blatter for the top administrative job.