Breaking News

Two infants burnt to death in Lagos

By Esther Onyegbula
Lagos—Two children have reportedly died in a fire incident that razed a story building at 43, Salami Street, Mafoluku Oshodi in Lagos on Monday night.

According to reports the children identified as Joel Chukwu and Monadi Samuel were burnt to death before fire servicemen could rescue them.

Vanguard gathered that the inferno was allegedly caused by a candle which was lit by the family. Unfortunately the burning candle fell causing the fire that gutted their flat and consumed the children while they were sleeping.

Confirming the report, the Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Razak Fadipe, said that two infants died in the fire disaster last night, explaining that the fire service was not called on time to put out the fire.

”We got a distress call around 8:38p.m. last night and when we got there, we discovered that it was a storey building that was on fire. The top floor had two-bedroom apartment and four single rooms, while the ground floor had two bedrooms and six single rooms. They did not call us on time when the fire occurred,” he said.

Fadipe confirmed the fire was caused by a candle which was lit by the family.

He said two water tanks were used in putting out the fire, adding that the Isolo and Ilupeju Fire Stations were involved in putting out the fire.

According to him, the top floor of the building was razed, particularly the two bedroom flat on the top floor where the deceased children and their family used to live.

The Fire Service boss appealed to the residents to desist from using candle in their houses as it could be very dangerous, saying that they could purchase cheap rechargeable lamps that would be more useful for them at night.



Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.