Abuja – The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) on Friday said the body of Emir of Gwoza, who died when gunmen attacked a convoy of three emirs had been recovered.
The gunmen attacked the convoy of emirs of Gwoza, Uba and Askira who were travelling to Gombe for the funeral of the late Emir of Gombe.
This is contained in a statement issued in Abuja and signed by Maj. Gen Chris Olukolade, Director of Defence Information.
The statement said that troops deployed in Garkida responded to the attack and the emirs of Uba and Askira were secured.
It said that troops were currently on patrol along the entire route with a view to apprehending the perpetrators and keeping the area safe.
According to the statement, the troops of the Special Task Force (STF) operating in the North-Central part of the country have led to the arrest of 23 members of armed gangs terrorising the area.
It said that the suspects, including a hard drugs’ supplier, were apprehended during raids on camps and criminal hideouts located in Bukuru, Jos South and Barkin Ladi areas.
It said that all the suspects were currently being investigated before they would be handed over to the appropriate authorities for prosecution.