News

January 6, 2014

Imo govt replies Onwuliri, challenges FG on alleged missing oil money

Imo govt replies Onwuliri, challenges FG on alleged missing oil money

BY CHIDI NKWOPARA

OWERRI—Imo State government has challenged Minister of External Affairs, Professor Viola Onwuliri, to get the federal government to account for missing billions of naira in the oil sector before asking for its own accountability.

onwuliriThe Minister had last week charged the government to account for the over N40 billion local government funds from the federation as well as money from SURE-P allocation, saying developments in the 27 local government areas in the state were not commensurate with the funds allocated in the last three years.

But responding to the minister’s demand, Okorocha’s Senior Special Assistant (Media), Mr. Samuel Onwuemeodo,  said:   “One of the conditions by which the present state administration would accept the demand is that the minister and other stakeholders would gather the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, governors that had ruled the state for 12 years, along with the present governor, to give account of what they did with the state allocations.”

Onwuemeodo was of the opinion that Okorocha’s administration had in less than three years, recorded more landmark achievements than the 12 years of the two PDP governors that earlier served in the state.

He also urged the Minister to remind her principal of the same demand on the Federal Government from well meaning Nigerians, especially the unresolved issue of alleged missing billions of Naira from the oil sector.

Vanguard recalls that Professor Onwuliri had during a press conference in Owerri, sought to know where the allocations accruing to the 27 local councils, totaling over N40 billion, as well as the excess crude funds were channeled.

“What we have on ground in the 27 local government areas of the state is not commensurate with the huge funds so far collected from the federation account for nearly three years,” Professor Onwuliri said.

She also accused the state government of misapplying or misappropriating the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme, Sure-P, fund.

“The Federal Government has received complaints from victims of the recent flood disaster that the intervention fund it released to the state was diverted,” Professor Onwuliri said.

While noting that the state government had a lot to account for, the Minister, however, said that the Federal Government would soon compel the governor to account for the funds it collected from the federation account.