BY VINCENT UJUMADU  & ENYIM ENYIM

AWKA—THE governorship  candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP,  in the Anambra gubernatorial election, Mr. Tony Nwoye said yesterday that his party will not be part of the supplementary election in 211 polling units as scheduled by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, for next Saturday, November 30.

Briefing reporters in Awka,  director-general of Tony Nwoye Campaign Organisation, Prince Osita Ezenwa said the national publicity secretary of the party, Chief Olisa Metuh, who said PDP would participate in the supplementary election, is on his own.

Ezenwa said: “We want to dispel and of course reiterate our earlier stand that we are not part of the November 30 supplementary governorship election. We wonder when Olisa Metuh, a national spokesman of the party suddenly fell from the Olympian heights to be the spokesman of our candidate without consultation.

“We want to make it clear that since the November 16 gubernatorial election, no meeting had been held by any officer of the party or National Working Committee, NWC, to discuss whether the party or our candidate should participate in the Saturday election or not.

“Our candidate, Comrade Tony Nwoye, has said it over and over, that he will not be part of it and that if PDP participates in the said election, it means giving credibility to an illegal act.
“Metuh should realize the limit of his office. He cannot continue putting words into the mouth of the PDP candidate in the state.

“The position of our party is that we are not going to be part of the election. Metuh is on his own and what he is doing is at variance with the views of the majority of the people of Anambra State.”

Also speaking, the director of protocol of the campaign organization, Mr. Ken Arinze said PDP would pursue the matter legally to ensure that justice was done.

He commended the National Chairman of the party, Alhaji Bamanga, Tukur for standing behind the PDP governorship candidate in the November 16 election and urged PDP supporters in the state to remain calm and stay at home on Saturday during the supplementary election by INEC.

Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.