By Soni Daniel, Regional Editor, North
ABUJA — After nearly two weeks of exchange of words with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, former Kwara State Governor, Dr. Bukola Saraki, yesterday, surrendered to the operatives of the commission in Abuja.
Saraki, who was said to have reported at the commission yesterday morning, also rendered an official statement to the anti-graft agency in line with the issues raised against him by the commission.
Vanguard learnt that a crack team of the agency’s operatives immediately swooped on the former governor, grilling him on his tenure as Governor of Kwara State and at the defunct Societe General Bank of Nigeria, SGBN.
The former governor, who is a serving Senator, also took time to clear the air on the allegations of embezzlement leveled against him by the commission, saying that he had no cause to be invited, since the issues had been investigated by the agency over the years.
At the time of going to press, the lawmaker was still being quizzed. It was not clear if the operatives would keep him overnight or grant him administrative bail on self recognition.
It will be recalled that the commission had, last week, vowed to take all necessary measures to arrest and bring Saraki to justice over his tenure as governor and at the former bank.
The commission was apparently irked when the former governor denied receiving an invitation dated July 25, sent through the Clerk of the National Assembly, for him to appear before it.
EFCC vowed last Friday to take necessary steps to arrest and try him for several fraud-related cases.
EFCC, apparently peeved by the refusal of Saraki to honour its invitation, said that it would use all legitimate means to compel the Senator to honour its invitation.
The former governor, who now heads the Senate Committee on Environment, had described his alleged refusal to honour EFCC’s summon as a calculated attempt to tarnish his image.
Saraki said that there was nothing new for the EFCC to investigate about him, having carried out similar probe between 2010 and 2012 without finding anything incriminating against him and his administration.