Breaking News

Lagos explosion: Bomb experts confused over type of device

LAGOS — Vanguard, yesterday, reliably gathered that bomb experts are finding it difficult to ascertain the type of explosive used for the substance which  exploded, Monday, at Miracle Sand Beach, in Amuwo Odofin Local Government Area of Lagos, killing the Chairman of the Sand Dredgers Association, Chief Oladele Pius,  and injured a  policeman.

The experts, according to a reliable source, suspect that the exhibits at the explosive scene were tampered with before their arrival.

The Police bomb disposal unit and security personnel at the scene of the explosion, under the Festac link bridge along Amuwo Odofin in Lagos Photo:  Biodun Ogunleye
The Police bomb disposal unit and security personnel at the scene of the explosion, under the Festac link bridge along Amuwo Odofin in Lagos Photo: Biodun Ogunleye

Consequently, some of the bomb experts visited the explosion scene again, yesterday, to get fresh clues for their investigation.

But it was learnt that they arrived the scene late, on the day of the incident, an action our source said was attributed to lack of logistics.

Colleagues disagree  with CP

Meantime, bemoaning the loss of Oladele, his colleagues at Miracle Sand Beach, eulogized his virtues, expressing their displeasure over the Lagos State Police Commissioner’s  statement that the tragic incident was caused by an electrical fault.

One of them who could not hide his consternation over the report, attempted to rough handle some newsmen, blaming them for taking sides with the police.  The report, according to some of them, was part of the reason why some journalists were barred from entering the deceased’s apartment.

“Why would you people believe everything that is said? Is investigation not part of your job. Look around for yourselves, are there any electrical gadgets here? Then, why must you add that in your report?” Mr Showunmi, as he was later identified, asked.

Materials collected from the scene

So far, it was gathered that materials collected from the scene of the blast included blood stained sand; pieces of black Jumbo radio set, six 1.5 volt tiger head battery,  red and white wire measuring 34cm in length; flexible twin wire measuring 529 centimeters in length and one glass tumbler.

However, Police sources hinted that the major substance of Improvised Explosive Device IED, among the exhibits were absent, hinting that they could have been tampered with before the arrival of bomb experts. But the wire and battery were said to be the only components of IED.

Sources said from the length of the recovered wire, it was obvious that the explosive could have been planted and controlled through the river, a vantage position attributed to the ease with which the mission was  accomplished

Benefactors suspect foul play

Sympathisers, majority of whom claimed to be  beneficiaries of the deceased’s benevolence, besieged his Lake View estate residence to condole the widows.

Among them were social miscreants, who staged a protest against what they described as a premeditated act.

They alleged that the deceased whom they all referred to as Apase, could have been killed by his rivals over chairmanship tussle.

In a show of solidarity to their late benefactor, the youths took over security, as they conducted search on every caller at the residence. The search, according to them, was to ensure that those they alleged  killed Oladele would not come and plant another bomb in his residence.

Some arrests made

Vanguard reliably gathered that as part of on-going investigation, some persons have been arrested over the tragic incident. The arrested persons were reportedly those who spoke with the deceased shortly before the explosion occurred.

Vanguard’s findings revealed that after the late Oladele left his office for home that fateful morning, he was reluctant to go back to the office, as he complained to his second wife, Seun, of having an usual feeling.

The first phone call he received was reportedly from the policeman that was with him when the blast occurred. Other calls came in at about 10.54 am, 11.06 am, 11,25am and 11.30am respectively.

The persistent call which eventually forced the Ondo State-born father of five out of bed came i, two seconds intermittently.

It was also learnt that the late Oladele had once escaped an assassination attempt.

“Several assassination attempts, including diabolical, have been made on his life in the past but none succeeded. I think they wanted to ensure he died this time around, that was why they planted a bomb where he usually seat,” one of the sympathizers said.



Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.