Breaking News

How well driller was sent to early grave

By Uju Mbanusi

FORTY-FIVE year old David Adebalogun, was popularly known as oba, meaning  king in English language. He was called oba because he was considered the best well driller  in and around Abule-Egba area of Lagos, a means he used to fend for his family until the unexpected happened recently.

Aside being very good at his job, his charges were also considered   reasonable, compared to his contemporaries elsewhere.

Tragedy however, struck  after he was  hired to drill a well in a compound located on Olorunda Street, around Ilesha Giwa area of Abule Egba, only to die inside.

There were however indication  that the late oba  was sent to an early grave following alleged carelessness on the part of his co-drillers.

Eye witnesses said on that fateful day, Oba, came out of the well to pick some instrument, including the  pumping machine. However, as he made to descend the well to continue with the unfinished business, he fell right inside, with the devastating impact of the  pumping machine he was to take in,  landing on his head.

*The loosed rope that sent Oba to an early grave
*The loosed rope that sent Oba to an early grave

Amidst the confusion, his colleagues tried to draw oba out with the loose  end of a rope  that was  round his waist, only to discover that the loose end was not properly clipped to a metal. An eye witness disclosed that the impact of the plunge even broke the  wooden pillars where  the rope that was  fastened to  oba’s waist was supposed to be clipped to.

When Crime Alert visited  oba’s widow at her 11 Bolorunduro Street, she was yet to come to terms with the reality of her husband’s demise,describing it as the worst calamity that had befallen her.

Recalling how her husband left home that fateful day without the slightest inkling that was the last time she would see him alive, she said: “  he woke up that morning complaining that he was financially handicapped and that he needed to raise  some money to enable him take care of some responsibilities at home. I gave him  N2,000  to hold before leaving the house for the market, unknown to me that I would never see my husband alive again.

I received the first phone call that changed the entire course of the day  at about  1pm, from a woman who lives  few buildings away from me. She told me to leave whatever I was doing and rush home that my husband was involved in a fatal accident. I begged her to help me take him to the hospital. Immediately I finished with her, another call came in. this time around , it was neighbour, who bluntly  told me that  my husband was dead.

At that moment, my world stood still and I passed out”, she said, with tears streaming down her cheeks. Although the remains of the Ondo state-born had been buried,  his widow lamented that his demise had saddled her with the responsibility of catering for their children alone, a responsibility she said was burdensome for both of them,wondering how she would start from where her husband stopped.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.