By Evelyn Usman
A widow, yesterday, escaped death by the whiskers after she jumped from a storey building to escape from a raging fire that gutted the house.
The building, located on 2b Unity Road, Ilamose Estate, Oke-Afa, went up in flames at about 1pm, destroying property, which monetary value could not be immediately ascertained.
There were different versions of how the inferno, which brought the Boxing Day activities to an abrupt halt in the area, started. A version said it was caused by some children, who carelessly left a lit candle in one of the apartments, while another version had it that it was caused by power surge.
Efforts by residents, who battled to put out the raging fire to avoid it from spreading to other buildings paid off, before the arrival of fire fighers.