Breaking News

Kidnappers demand N50m ransom for Bayelsa chief

By Samuel Oyadongha
Yenagoa—Six days after Chief Noble Ewege, Deputy Paramount Ruler of Otuokpoti community in Ogbia Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, was shot and taken captive by armed gunmen who invaded his residence last Friday, his abductors have demanded N50 million ransom before he could regain freedom.

Though Chief Ewege’s whereabouts were still unknown, an impeccable source told Vanguard that his kidnappers, Monday, allowed him to speak on phone with his wife, ostensibly to allay fears that he might have died from gunshot injuries he sustained during the attack.

The source said: “The chief assured that he was still alive but did not know the actual location he was held. He said he was shot on the hand and his left leg, pleading that something must be done urgently to secure his release so that he would not die in captivity.”

The source added that after the Monday conversation with his wife, they had not heard again from his kidnappers.

The source added: “Up till now we have not heard again from him and attempts made to call his cell phone after he spoke to his wife on Monday proved abortive because the line had been switched off.”

… As police rescue 6-yr-old from abductors in P/Harcourt

By jimitota onoyume

PORT HARCOURT— POLICE in Rivers State, yesterday, rescued a six-year-old boy from kidnappers.

According to the state Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Ben Uguegbulam, the kidnappers abandoned the boy when some policemen in a patrol vehicle made attempt to arrest them.

He said the policemen suspected that the boy had been kidnapped with the way the hoodlums were holding him.

He said: “A six-year-old boy (names withheld) was kidnapped in a street off Elekwowo Road, Port Harcourt. The boy was sighted with some men at Ibba.

“The Police team, led by the Divisional Police Office, moved to the scene swiftly and the men ran away, leaving the boy behind.

“He was identified and taken to Rumukpakani Police Station where the case was originally reported. His father later came and took him. Efforts to arrest the culprits continue.”


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.