Breaking News

Women’s World Cup will be ‘milestone’ says Blatter

BERLIN (AFP) – FIFA president Sepp Blatter says he expects the women’s World Cup, which starts on Sunday, to be a ‘milestone’ in the women’s game and has promised an increase in prize funds.

While Spain earned $30 million for winning last year’s men’s World Cup in South Africa, from a prize fund of $420 million, just $6 million in total is up for grabs for the women at Germany 2011.

Men’s teams who went out in the group stages in South Africa collected $8 million, while FIFA provided each team with an additional $1 million to help with preparation costs.

In comparison, the winner of the women’s World Cup final in Frankfurt on July 17 will receive just over $1 million and Blatter has said he will look into why the prize money is so low compared to the men’s game.

“I am surprised that there are only six million dollars available,” Blatter admitted at a FIFA press conference at Berlin’s Olympic Stadium.

“And when I see what the swiss franc is worth compared to the US dollar, maybe we should add something on it.”


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.