By Emma Arubi
WARRI – TWO more bodies were, yesterday, allegedly recovered from the NNPC pipeline explosion site at Sapele, Delta State, even as fire fighters battle to put off the inferno.
Vanguard also gathered that efforts by volunteers to get to the scene of incident continue to be daunting as the fire was still raging.
Sources told Vanguard, yesterday, that the casualty figure which had risen to 22 was based on the bodies recovered so far and the one given by the villagers around the scene.
“They said two more bodies were recovered, which means the casualty figure will be around 22 by now. Anyway, rescue work is still going on after which we will know the actual number of people who died in the incident.
“It is only a thief that can access the scene except those farming in the area, who are used to the swampy terrain,” the security source said.
The fire incident, which occurred at bout 7 a.m., close to Eko-Ovwore-Amukpe community in Okpe Local Government Area on Tuesday, also destroyed nearby settlements.
Suspected vandals had visited the scene in the early hours for their nefarious act but left the place open without blocking the burst pipe, where they allegedly siphoned petroleum products. As at press time, billows of smoke were still rising from the scene in a swamp area close to River Ethiope while fire fighters and policemen battled to control the raging fire.