Breaking News

FG evacuates another 4,000 Nigerians from Tripoli

…closes Nigerian mission in Libya temporarily


The National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, has disclosed that the evacuation of stranded Nigerians who registered with the Nigerian Embassy at the Tripoli International Airport ended last Wednesday when the last flight brought in the remaining passengers.

Director General of NEMA, Muhammad Sani-Sidi, said additional four flights were made from Monday to Wednesday, bringing a total of 1,784 distressed Nigerians directly from Tripoli, Libya’s capital city.
So far, over 4,000 Nigerians have been brought back to the country safely and were transported to their respective states of origin.

While the last flight brought in only 194 passengers, including Nigeria’s Embassy officials and their families, the first flight in the last batch of the evacuation, brought in 558 passengers, second, 496 and third, 536.
The Nigerian Charge De Affaires in Libya, Mr. Harun Umar, who accompanied the last batch said: “There are no more Nigerians at the Tripoli International Airport.

The Nigerian mission in Libya has been temporarily closed, as officials of the mission, including Sheik K. Lemu, Tijjani Otman and Mrs M. O. Abodunde have arrived.”

Meanwhile,  a special team, comprising officials from NEMA, Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs, National Commission for Refugees, Nigeria Immigration Services, Civil defence corps and relevant security agencies, had been set up to receive other passengers that would be brought to the country by the International Organisation for Migrations, IOM, and United Nations Agency for Refugees, who would continue to evacuate stranded citizens through Libya’s neighbouring countries as Egypt and Tunisia.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.