Breaking News

Two arrested in Delta for relocating DDC machine

TWO persons were, yesterday, arrested by the police in Ughelli, Delta State, for their alleged involvement in inter local government area transfer of a DDC machine.

Vanguard investigation revealed that the DDC machine meant for Orere Community in Ughelli South Local Government Area was allegedly transferred to a private residence in Ughelli North Local Government Area, where it was allegedly being used for illegal registration.

It was gathered that the registration officials were allegedly persuaded with monetary gratification to register persons in Iwhrekpokpor in the Ughelli metropolis with the equipment.  Sources said the DDC machine and those carrying out the exercise in the area were, uncovered by some youths, who acted on a tip off by some persons, who claimed to have been registered there and were given some money.

A source who sought anonymity said, “somebody was called on his mobile phone that an illegal registration was going on in the area. The person who called said he was registered and given some money. The person came to tell us what was happening and we immediately embarked on a search for the machine.”

According to the source, their search culminated in the location of the machine and those involved in the exercise, adding that they alerted the police and the vigilante group, who came to arrest them.

The corps member (names withheld) while fielding questions from journalists moments after his arrest, said the machine was taken to Ughelli due to the absence of power to charge the equipment’s battery.

INEC Registration official’s death natural- Rep

THE member representing Uhunmwonde Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, Mr Samson Osagie, yesterday, threw more light on the death of a Youth Corps member, Mr Frank Okafor, who served as the INEC registration officer in Uhumnwonde before his death, last Wednesday.

He said that contrary to media reports (not Vanguard) that he was strangulated by thugs at Ehor community before his death, the INEC official died shortly after a brief illness in his room.

He explained that the lifeless body of the deceased was discovered by the Electoral Officer in the local government area, one Mr Jonathan, adding that it was clear misinformation to say that thugs killed the corps member in his constituency when nothing of such happened.

Osagie said, “yes, it is correct that the sad event took place at a town called Eriboribo village in ward 2, Uhunmwonde Local Government Area, two days ago in which a registration officer, living in the community went to bed and the following morning did not wake up. This was promptly confirmed by the Electoral Officer in the council,  who as a matter of fact, went into that room and found his lifeless body.

“Contrary to what we read, the sad event did not take place at Ehor, neither was he attacked by thugs. I can confirm to you that the exercise has been going on smoothly inspite of the obvious challenges and hitches which are almost a national problem. Mr  Okafor is said to be an ex-corps member recruited by INEC and he did not live in Ehor town. While we sympathise with the family of Okafor, it is also right that we put the records straight,” he added.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.