Crime Alert

December 2, 2010

One dies as youths engage in fight to finish

By Ifeanyi Okolie and Ndimele Kingsley
If 21-year-old phone repairer in Lagos, Taofeeq Osho, had known that his presence in an end-of-the-year party would result in his incarceration and the death of a fellow youth, he would have opted to stay away from the party.

The fate that befell him was accidental as he was not directly involved in the fracas that erupted at the party, being organized by Ese Community in Kwara State at Isale-Eko Grammar School, Lagos.  Though he was invited by his bosom friend and colleague in the phone repairing business at the phone Plaza, Isale-Eko, called Muyis, he was, nevertheless, relaxing and enjoying himself when he noticed that some people were fighting.

Crime Alert learnt that when Taofique noticed the commotion, he rose from his seat to ascertain what was happening only to see that his friend Muyis, was engaged in a fierce fighting with some people.

Unfortunately, while trying to separate the warring parties, he was identified as a close friend to Muyis and that made the other party pounce on him, without provocation.  In fact, it was alleged that the other party subjected him to severe beatings and battering after his friend, who was overpowered, managed to disappear from the scene.

One Oyawoye, said to be the leader of the other group was reportedly beating him with harmful devices. At that stage, Taofeeq saw that they were coming for the kill and he used a broken bottle on the floor to stab one of his attackers identified as Michael on the neck which led to his death, instantly. This created pandemonium around the vicinity.

The suspect

The enraged crowd then rose against Taofeeq.  He was subsequently beating to a state of stupor and was to be lynched before policemen from Adeniji-Adele division arrived the scene and rescued him from the grips of his attackers.  He was later taken to General Hospital, Isale-Eko where he was treated before handing him over to the police.

When Taofeeq was paraded by the police over the week, he narrated the circumstances that led to his being in police net stating that he was subjected to severe beating by the other party to the extent that he had no option than to save himself.

“I heard noise and there was a fight between my friend and another party. When I went to separate the fight, it was then they started beating me, hitting me with stick and stone and I sustained injuries on my head.   It was when I saw blood on my body I now took a broken bottle and stabbed one Michael Oyawole on his neck.

I never intended stabbing him.   I just wanted to scare him away so that he will leave me alone. I can’t identify those people that beat me but it is Muyis that invited me to the party and I know his shop and house”.
Crime Alert gathered that after the deceased slumped, he was rushed to a nearby hospital where he was confirmed dead.

Later, his body was deposited at the public mortuary for autopsy while the case was transferred to the State Criminal Investigations Department, SCID, panti, Yaba, Lagos, for further investigation.  Meanwhile, Police said they are intensifying efforts to arrest the feeling Muyis with a view to getting a clearer picture of what really led to the fracas that resulted in the loss of life.

Speaking on the development, Lagos State Police command spokesman, Frank Mba advised parents to caution their wards now that Christmas and New Year is around the corner.  “We expect to see parties, celebration, carnivals but in the midst of all these celebrations and parties, there is the big need for parents to monitor their children, there is a big need to act with our senses, there is a big need for us to monitor our behavior and ensure they are in cognizance with the spirit of our time.

By so doing, we will be able to avert incident of this nature throughout this period and beyond”, he stated.