News

October 28, 2010

Prominent citizen linked to fresh Jos killings

By Taye Obateru
Jos—Police in Plateau State said they have arrested seven people in connection with Monday’s attack on a village in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State in which six people were killed.

Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr. Ikechukwu Aduba, who disclosed this to journalists, yesterday, said two of the suspects have made confessional statements implicating a prominent citizen in the state as sponsor of the attack.

He said the prominent citizen which he chosed not to name was on the run and would be named if he does not give himself up within days.

He said: “I am glad to tell you that we have made a big breakthrough in our investigations into the attack on Rauhinku village. So far we have arrested seven persons and two of them have made a confessional statement linking a prominent person to the attack.

“We all know him and we have given him up to Friday to show himself otherwise we will have no option than to announce his name publicly.”

He regretted that some people were bent on fomenting trouble to give the impression that the state was not safe for selfish reasons, wondering why a remote village that had nothing to do with any crisis would be target of attack.

The six people killed in the attack were given a mass burial on Tuesday. A man was said to have lost his wife, three children and his mother in-law in the attack.