Breaking News

PHCN staff electrocuted in C-River

CALABAR—Attempts to rectify broken insulators in the home of retired General Anthony Ukpo’s mother, former military administrator of Rivers State, has claimed the life of a Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN, staff at Okpoma, Yala Local Government Area of Cross River State.

The  PHCN staff simply identified as Tony,  attached to the PHCN office at Okpoma, was electrocuted on Sunday,  9 May 2010.

Vanguard gathered that General Anthony Ukpo had engaged a PHCN staff, M. D. Okorode, to rectify broken insulators in  his mother’s house at Okpoma after  some trees in the compound fell and broke some PHCN  cables and insulators.

According to one Mr. Nda Anthony, who described himself as Tony’s friend, Gen. Ukpo engaged Okorode who is the head of the PHCN unit at Okpoma and paid him the sum of N70,000 to work on the broken insulators.

Okorode, Vanguard gathered,  then asked Tony, a maintenance staff, to work on the insulators on Sunday.
While they were working on the insulators, Mr Okorode, however, left to watch the Chelsea vs Manchester United match.

“The man was drinking and watching the match when Yahe, the substation which he had  earlier asked to interrupt power supply to allow him  work on some  insulators at Okpoma  called him on the walkie –talkie to ask if the work was over so that they could restore power and Mr Okorode said they were through.

“Meanwhile, Tony was still on top the pole, when power came and he was electrocuted,” Nda said.
He said Mr. Okorode, in spite of the fact that he got wind of what happened, didn’t report the incident to Ogoja unit of PHCN, but rather went home and slept and Tony’s body was left hanging there on the pole for hours.

According to Nda, “ when we went to tell him that Tony had been electrocuted, he did not make any move but went on watching the match and when the match was over, he went straight to his home.

“I had to go to Ogoja to report before some staff on night duty came to remove the body.”

Meanwhile, the body of the electrocuted PHCN worker had been deposited at the mortuary of the General Hospital, Ogoja.

Vanguard gathered that the police in Okpoma Divisional Police Station were currently investigating the case.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.