By Bishop David Oyedepo
There is nothing mystical about success. Itâ€™s simply a product of practical engagement of tested and proven principles. Last week, I taught on the five covenant steps to the top. This week, as I conclude this series, I will teach on the power of covenant dreams. We live in the dreamerâ€™s world. Dreamers rule the world! Dreamers shape history! Dreamers set the pace! Dreamers blaze the trail! Dreamers lead the way! What is a Covenant Dream?
A covenant dream in this context can be defined as a picture of your future, as gleaned from the scriptures. It is, therefore, not a desire but a discovery. It is not an ambition, but a vision born out of revelation. It is not a goal that we set, but a future we discover from scriptures. It is a picture of what you have been made, as contained in scriptures. Thatâ€™s why it is defined a covenant dream. A covenant dream always guarantees fulfillment.
God said to Abraham, â€œYour name shall no longer be Abram but Abraham, for a father of many nations have I made theeâ€ (Genesis 17:5). It was a discovery of what he was made, that kept him going. You canâ€™t see a future and not celebrate it. Abraham discovered what he was made, so he remained on top. He was strong in faith, giving glory to God (Romans 4:20); he was not depressed once. The picture was so vivid to him.
God said to Abraham, â€œLook up now, if you can count the stars, thatâ€™s how many your children will beâ€ (Genesis 15:5-6). God brought him into a dream of his future, and Abraham believed God. So, the Bible is a Dream Book. It is Godâ€™s dream book for mankind. It is made up of amazing dream seeds. Any of those seeds you capture, cultivate, and nurture, guarantees a future. The Bible is made of incorruptible seed (I Peter 1:23-25), and the seed is the Word of God (Luke 8:11).
God said, â€œI know the plans I have for you, plans of good and not of evil, to give you a future and a hopeâ€ (Jeremiah 29:11). In His plan lies our future. So, embrace the plan, and walk in the reality of its fulfillment. God is the author of dreams.
Characteristics OfÂ Covenant Dreams:
1. If you catch a covenant dream, you cannot stop saying it. No wonder, the Word of God says: …We cannot but speak those things we have heard and seen (Acts 4:20). If you have seen it, you canâ€™t stop saying it.
2. After catching a covenant dream from scriptures, you are supernaturally excited. Godâ€™s Word says: Jesus, who for the joy that was set before Him, endured the crossâ€¦ (Hebrews 12:1-2). He could smile on the cross because He could see the end! Letâ€™s take for example, Joseph the dreamer. He was the most excited slave that ever existed! His dream was the fountain of his joy.
3. You canâ€™t stop acting it out. You canâ€™t see yourself as a king, and still be acting like a slave. You canâ€™t catch a covenant dream without it showing practically in your life.
4. You are never tired of believing it. You never stop believing what you have seen. Even if you are doubting Thomas, when you see it, you believe it!
5. You never give up on it! â€¦All the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come (Job 14:14). It took Abraham many years, but he got there. You are sure to get there! Thereâ€™s a never-give-up grace that accompanies a covenant dream. When you have caught it, it shows in your tenacity. Life without a dream is doomed!
What to do to catch a covenant dream: First, be in the Spirit (Revelation 1:10). You canâ€™t hear from God except you are in the Spirit. So, you must come out of the flesh and be in the spirit, if you want to hear from God.
Second, engage in prayers. Call upon me, and I will answer you, and I will show you great and mighty things which thou knowest not (Jeremiah 33:3).
Third, engage in a spirited search, both from the Bible and anointed books that address the issues of concern (Luke 15:7-8). Light the candle and search thoroughly until you find it. Fourth, seek the anointing that provides access into Godâ€™s plan for your life. By this anointing, every form of spiritual blindness comes to an end in your life. Thatâ€™s how to catch a covenant dream.
Friend, the power to catch a covenant dream is the preserve of those born again. You get born again by confessing your sins and accepting Jesus as Your Lord and Saviour. If you are set for this new birth experience, please say this prayer: Lord Jesus, I come to You today. I am a sinner. Forgive me. Today, I accept You as my Lord and Saviour. Thank You Jesus for saving me! Now I know I am born again!
On Friday being January 1, 2010, people all over the world will be celebrating the New Year. It is not a time for you to get drunk! Before then, you should take stock and make a resolution to obey and serve God. For you, it should not be a year to play games with God, your Creator! Meanwhile, I wish you a Prosperous New Year!
Every exploit in life is a product of knowledge. For further reading, please get my books â€” Exploring The Secrets Of Success, Success Strategies and Maximize Destiny.
I know this teaching has blessed you. Write and share your testimony with me through Faith Tabernacle, Canaan Land, Ota, P.M.B. 21688, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria; or call 7747546-8; or E-mail: [email protected]