Members of the Executive Committee of the Nigeria Football Federation are running from pillar to postÂ following the result of the Magnetic Resounding Imaging (MRI) scan carried out on the players of the Golden Eaglets.
And the NFF has called for an emergency meeting scheduled for Tuesday at the football house to discuss the issue and the next line of action. The players have already been recalled from their training camp in Bauchi.
Chief Taiwo Ogunjobi, an Executive Committee member of the NFF and chairman of the Technical Committee would however not disclose the exact number of players that failed the MRI test said, while responding to questions in Abuja Friday, that the football house would critically deliberate on the MRI report on the players of golden Eaglets.
â€œWe have not discussed the MRI report since it was sent, and we have scheduled next Tuesday to critically deliberate on it. At the interim, we have asked the players to quickly return to Abujaâ€, Chief Ogunjobi said.
He however stated that the withdrawal of the Eaglets from the Council of East and Central Africa Football Association tournament was to avoid international embarrassment.
The players have spent barely one week from the two weeks they were supposed to spend in Bauchi before their MRI result was released by the National Hospital where the test was done.
NFF has however directed that the Golden Eagletsâ€™ parents should be summoned to ascertain the exact date of birth of the players.
Reports have it that the result of 28 of the 35 players sent to the National Hospital for the MRI screening indicated that they are above the Under-17 required for the Fifa cadet championship, which holds between October 24 and November 15 in the country.
Dr Ikpeme, who is the NFF deputy general secretary (Technical) had earlier stated that it was a good development that the result of the test was received before the team was sent to participate in the CECAFA tournament holding in three cities of Sudan – Khartoum, Juba and Medani.
â€œThe NFF could have spent huge sum of money in sponsoring the team which a good number of the players would eventually not be part of the Fifa Under-17 World Cup that we are hosting later in the year.
â€œWe will want a situation where about 18 to 20 per cent of the players that would represent the country in the Fifa Under-17 World Cup will progress to the next level. Presently we have some players that participated in the Under-17 championship in Korea that are in the current Under-20 team. Such progression is what the NFF is working toward achieving, and we should be commended for embarking on the test exercise to ensuring that rightful players in the under-17 are featured in the categoryâ€, Dr Emmanuel Ikpeme said.
Remarkably, John Obuh, the newly appointed coach of the Golden Eaglets; the third to handle the team since it was assembled, is however confused over the MRI result that has thrown spanner into his works even though he inherited the alleged over age players from his predecessor â€“ Henry Nwosu.