The 8th Senate under the leadership of Senator Abubakar Bukola Saraki has released details of its achievements and how its activities affected the lives of Nigerian citizens within the past one year.
To mark the 8th Senate’s first anniversary, a colorful set of infographics highlighting the achievements have surfaced in the social media.
Some of the listed achievements of the 8th Senate include:
Enactment of the Electronic Transaction Law 2015
– Businessmen can now engage in safer, legal transactions with their counterparts across the world
FCT High Court (Amendment) Law 2015
– Litigants to enjoy quick dispensation of justice as judges are increased from 37 to 75
Insolvency and Bankruptcy Recovery Law 2015
– Many failing businesses to be saved with this Global Standard Business law
National Centre for Cancer Research and Treatment Law
– Patients and Potential Victims will get succor through this law
Amendment of the Public Procurement Act
– Local Manufacturers will experience a boom as government is compelled by law to patronize them
Amendment of the outdated Railway Act
– 500,000 jobs to be created in the first instance and ease of movement of goods and services will lead to economic growth.
Motion and Resolution Extending Validity of JAMB results to 3 years
– Parents and Candidates are saved the pain of repeatedly paying fees, as all successful candidates cannot be admitted in a year.
54 Laws Affecting Ease of Doing Business in Nigeria now under review:
– Foreign Investors will troop into Nigeria
– Employment creation
– Increased GDP
– Economic recovery
162 motions addressing key problems of Nigerians like
– Farmers affected by ban on Nigeria Agric Export products by EU
– Victims of flood and erosion disaster
– Road accident victims etc.
The vulnerable have been provided relief through the consideration of 162 petitions:
– The case of Sergeant Amos Olaniyan who got his job back after 21 years is an example.
– Mrs Irezi Chinyere also got reinstated after 3 years of unlawful dismissal.
Nigerians from North-East Zone have a strong ally in the Senate
– Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) benefited from top level visitation and received financial and material Donations
– Senate’s motion led to Establishment of Presidential Committee to rehabilitate their homes
– North-East Development Commission Law now to be passed to ensure quick rebuilding of the zone
See more on the attached infographics below: