Panic in Lagos over alleged disaster on 3rd Mainland bridge

on   /   in News 4:58 pm   /   Comments

By Bose Adelaja

There was panic, Saturday, in some parts of Lagos State, following rumours that a commercial bus and a private car plunged into the lagoon after colliding with each other.

The news filtered into the air around 8am, making some commuters and motorists to abandon the Third Mainland bridge for fear of the unknown, while  others were trapped on the bridge as the incident was said to have resulted into stampede as many scampered for safety.

Following this development, people made distressed calls to their relatives, media organisations, law enforcement agencies and emergency organisations to confirm the authenticity of the news.

In response to the panic calls, emergency agencies like National Emergency Management Authority NEMA, state and federal fire services, among others moved to the scene  only to discover that the story was untrue as a team of policemen who were patrolling the bridge told them nothing of such happened.

It was discovered that an argument had earlier ensued between the driver of  a commercial bus and that of a private car when the former left a dent on the latter’s car. It was also learnt that both had parted ways amicably following the timely intervention of Policemen on patrol.

Reacting to the development, NEMA South West Information Officer, Mr. Ibrahim Farinloye urged people to go about their businesses and refrain from rumour.

    Print       Email