
Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa
…505 Hardened Terrorists Convicted So Far – NCTC Boss
By Kingsley Omonobi
The Chief of Defense Staff (CDS), General Christopher Musa, has announced that 129,417 Boko Haram terrorists and their family members surrendered to security forces between July 10 and December 9, 2024. This milestone, he said, reflects significant progress towards building a peaceful society that fosters socio-economic development in Nigeria.
Breaking down the figures, Gen. Musa revealed that the surrenders included 30,426 fighters, 36,774 women, and 62,265 children.
Speaking at the 18th Africa Security Watch Conference in Doha, themed “Developing Modules for People-Centric Governance Towards Enhancement of Peace and Security,” Gen. Musa attributed the achievement to the Armed Forces’ effective combination of kinetic and non-kinetic approaches.
He said, “The increasingly frequent surrenders signify the fruitful impact of our comprehensive approach. We have made significant progress in fostering a peaceful society that guarantees improved socio-economic conditions for our citizens. While challenges remain, we are not where we were as of June 2023.”
General Musa also highlighted the Armed Forces’ role in bolstering socio-economic development by increasing daily oil production, reducing community attacks, and promoting stability through innovative operational strategies.
National Counter-Terrorism Centre (NCTC) Coordinator, Major General Adamu Laka, provided updates on Nigeria’s counter-terrorism efforts in his presentation, “The Trajectory of Counter-Terrorism Fight: The Nigerian Experience.” He reported the following:
Trials and Convictions: Five phases of terrorism trials have led to 505 convictions, with a sixth phase ongoing.
Territorial Gains: Successful reclamation of territories from Boko Haram and ISWAP control.
Notable Neutralizations: High-profile insurgent leaders, such as Abubakar Shekau, have been eliminated.
Operation HADIN KAI: This initiative has driven a surge in surrenders.
General Laka commended regional collaboration through the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) for disrupting insurgent activities in the Lake Chad Basin. He also highlighted the Terrorism Prevention and Prohibition Act 2022, which strengthened efforts to prosecute terrorists and disrupt their financial networks.
De-radicalization and rehabilitation programs, including Operation Safe Corridor, have been instrumental in reintegrating repentant insurgents. These programs, combined with public awareness campaigns, empower communities to resist extremist ideologies.
The President of Africa Security Watch Initiative, Mr. Patrick Agbambu, emphasized the critical link between national defense and socio-economic development. He noted that Africa’s multi-pronged approaches to insecurity are bringing the continent closer to sustainable peace and economic stability.
Governor Douye Diri of Bayelsa State delivered a keynote address on his administration’s ASSURED Prosperity Agenda, a development strategy targeting agriculture, security, healthcare, energy, and education. Senator Diri underscored the importance of adaptable governance to meet citizens’ needs, driving industrialization and fostering harmony in the state.
This multi-sectoral focus reflects a unified effort to address insecurity and spur sustainable growth across Nigeria and the region.
Disclaimer
Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of Vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.