By Monsuru Olowoopejo

LAGOS—A 23-year-old man, Festus Omotoye, and another, yet-to-be-identified, have been confirmed dead after they drowned, in separate incidents, in a hotel’s swimming pool and Offin Lagoon, while on a picnic.

Meanwhile, officials of the Lagos State Fire Service aided the rescue of three siblings, who were trapped in an inferno that gutted a one-storey building at 15, Ikunn Street, Egbe Idimu.

On the drowning cases, it was learned that while the yet-to-be-identified man died Monday morning in the hotel’s pool at Old Oko-Oba Road in Agege, he was not discovered until about 5p.m.

Festus died, Monday evening, during a swimming practice with church members, whom he had gone on picnic with at Offin Lagoon in Ikorodu axis of Lagos State.

On the case of the unidentified man, who died in a hotel pool, sources said that the deceased was recovered from the pool by officials of Lagos State Fire Service, led by the Director, Mr. Rasak Fadipe, who was contacted by the hotel management.

Festus’ friend thought he had gone home

On the lagoon incident, an eyewitness said that Festus drowned at about 7:45p.m. after he decided to swim in the lagoon, to exhibit his swimming skills.

Fadipe, who spoke to newsmen at the lagoon, said the yet-to-be-identified man held a birthday within the hotel, adding that his friend thought he had gone home and so didn’t search for him after the party.

On the fire incident, Fadipe lamented that the mother of the three children locked them in the room and went out, even as he warned residents against cooking in their rooms.

The Police Public Relations Officer, SP Dolapo Badmus, said that Festus’ corpse had been deposited at the Ikorodu General Hospital mortuary for autopsy.

According to her, at about 7:45p.m. on Monday, one Festus Omotoye, 23-year-old, a member of Redeemed Christian Church of God, RCCG, Offin Ikorodu branch drowned, while on picnic with members of his church, beside Offin Lagoon in Ikorodu.”

She noted that the deceased allegedly entered the lagoon to swim and got drowned, adding that the corpse of the deceased was evacuated to Ikorodu General Hospital mortuary for autopsy.

However, Badmus said she was yet to be briefed on the Agege tragedy.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.