Abuja – (NAN) Nigeria on Saturday in Abuja condemned the two separate attacks that occurred in Norway, yesterday , which left 91 persons dead.

This was contained in a statement by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, a copy of which was made available to the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN.

The statement said Nigeria received with great shock, the report of the attacks that occurred in the main government building in Oslo and a youth camp in Utoya Island.

“Nigeria strongly condemns these dastardly acts which has brought untold hardships upon the families of the victims; it is hoped that no efforts will be spared in bringing the perpetrators to justice,” it said.

The statement said the attack was made more reprehensible because Norway had been known as a peaceful and liberal society with no experience of acts of terrorism.

“The Government and people of Nigeria commiserate with the Government and people of Norway, especially the families of those who lost their lives,’’ it said.

At least 85 people were confirmed dead after a gunman dressed in police uniform opened fire at a youth summer camp in Utoya Island on Friday.

In the first incident, which occurred at about 3.20 p.m. local time, an explosion blew out most of the windows of a 17-storey building housing government offices in the city centre, resulting in the death of seven people.

Meanwhile, a 32-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the two incidents.

Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.