News

June 19, 2024

Insecurity: We’ve prosecuted 600 suspected criminals in 6 months – Ondo Amotekun

Insecurity: We’ve prosecuted 600 suspected criminals in 6 months – Ondo Amotekun

By Dayo Johnson, Akure

The Ondo state security outfit, codenamed, Amotekun, has prosecuted 600 suspected kidnappers, armed robbers and other criminals in the last six months.

Commander of the security outfit, Chief Adetunji Adeleye said this while parading 48 suspected criminals in Akure, the state capital.

Their criminal activities, according to Adeleye, spread across “kidnapping, stealing of cows, attempted murder, fraud and illegal counterfeiting of money, cultism, illegal migration and stealing of planks, burglary, arson, anti-grazing activities and vandalisation of critical government assets.

Adeleye said that ” About 600 suspects have been prosecuted by Amotekun between January and June 2024.

“Kidnapping in Ondo State has gone down by 90 per cent and the remaining 10 per cent, we only have them in the boarders areas, the extreme.

” But in all of these few occasions, we ensure that we rescue the victims and the suspects are made to face the music.

“The signals we are sending to criminals is that Ondo State isn’t a place where they can stay.

“We want them to know that even as kidnapper, once you kidnap, you can’t get away with it. If you steal cars, you can’t get away with it. If you break houses, we’ll pick you. So, what’s the point doing what you know you won’t get away with?

“We’re telling you criminals in the state to get out of Ondo State. And to the good people of Ondo State, we want to reassure you that the government of Lucky Aiyedatiwa is resolute in making the state conducive for businesses, social activities and all that makes the state a good one to stay.

Speaking on the 48 suspects paraded, the commander said that

They were arrested during the ongoing Operation ‘Safe-ground’ in the State.

According to him “Within this period, we broke a syndicate that specialises in vandalizing transformers.

“Equally, there is this syndicate that specialises in what is called ‘One-Chance’ in local parlance.

” Unsuspecting commuters will board their vehicles, they will get midway, rob them, dispose them of their valuables and make away with it.

“So, we were able to put some of our men in one of the vehicles and as we talk today, out of the ten vehicles they use, we were able to retrieve three and the kingpin of the criminal activities has been arrested.

“They have an herbalist that deceives them in telling customers of theirs that they can produce dollars for them, but you can see that they are counterfeit dollars.

“So, they collected naira from them in exchange for counterfeit dollars. So, we were able to break their cartel and you can see the pots and charms they use in hypnotising their customers.

” All they need to tell the victims is to go home and bring all their valuables for these counterfeit dollars.

Adeleye said that ” all of these 48 suspects have been profiled and will be taken to the next level which is the appropriate court of law to try their cases and those that are found wanting will be sent to the correctional home.