News

June 17, 2024

Alleged kidnap of fishermen in Anambra: Come with facts, Police tells relatives

Alleged kidnap of fishermen in Anambra: Come with facts, Police tells relatives

By Vincent Ujumadu

Anambra State Police Command has said that it is aware of trending media reports  on the alleged incident of nine fishermen allegedly kidnapped in the state and has, therefore, invited  relatives of the victims to come forward and assist it with necessary information.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Tochukwu Ikenga said in a statement yesterday that this would help the police to embark on investigations and take decisions on security deployment and strategy to prevent reoccurrence if the story is true.

Ikenga said although the command would not want to join issues with anyone on the matter, he expressed shock that a case of such magnitude trending online did not have any link with any Police formation in the state.

He also noted the  reaction  of those he described as interested parties and persons, adding however that the command is not discouraged by such comments, assuring its readiness to deploy investigative assets and partner with any concerned body or interest to help for possible rescue.

“The command reiterates its commitment to delivering on its mandate of the protection of lives and property, and urges members of the public, especially the eyewitnesses or otherwise with any useful information in this regard, to call the Command Control Room, or the Police Public Relations Officer,” the PPRO said.

A section of the media had reported that the fishermen, who departed Ibbi in Taraba State on Monday last week in a 24-seater bus accompanied by their relatives on a fishing expedition in the River Niger, were intercepted by people suspected to be enforcers of sit-at-home, which had since been banned in Anambra State.

Four of the fishermen were allegedly killed, while nine of them were taken hostage, with the abductors allegedly demanding ransom from their families.