May 1, 2024

Schoolboy killed in London stabbing named as Daniel Anjorin

-Family pays tribute to ‘wonderful child’

By Tunde Oso (with agency reports)

United Kingdom Police yesterday released a photo of Daniel Anjorin, the 14-year-old boy killed in the sword attack in northeast London on Tuesday.

Anjorin was a pupil at Bancroft’s private school in Woodford Green – also attended by Nottingham attack victim Grace O’Malley-Kumar.

Daniel’s family told Sky News he was “a wonderful child” who was “well loved” and “hard working” – and that his death “leaves a gaping wound in the family.”

“No family should have to go through what we are experiencing today,” they said. “Any family will understand it’s an absolute tragedy.”

His school’s flag is flying at half-mast following the incident in Hainault.

Bancroft’s said Daniel had been a pupil there since age seven and they were “devastated by the heartbreaking news.”

“He was a true scholar, demonstrating commendable dedication to his academic pursuits. His positive nature and gentle character will leave a lasting impact on us,” the school said.

Four other people, including two police officers, were injured in the attack.

READ ALSO: Police arrest suspected four cultists in Akwa Ibom

Metropolitan Police chief Sir Mark Rowley said one of the officers nearly lost her hand while apprehending the suspect.

The injuries suffered by all four are not thought to be life-threatening, and police don’t believe it was a targeted attack or terror-related.

Officers were called at 7a.m, with dramatic footage showing police later tasering and arresting a man with a sword.

The words “suspect contained” are heard as a female officer pulls the sword away.

Police said a 33-year-old man was hit when the suspect began his rampage by crashing a van into a house on Laing Close.

The man was then attacked and suffered a wound to his neck.

A 35-year-old man also suffered injuries to his arm when he was attacked inside a nearby property, before the suspect went on to attack Daniel.

Met chief Sir Mark said officers were “on the ground in 12 minutes” and that “some of the first contacts led to officers being very severely injured”.

He said the two who were hospitalised suffered “horrifically serious injuries”.

In an update on Wednesday, police said the officers had used incapacitant spray and a Taser on the attacker – but these had “limited impact” and he attacked the pair.

Local man James Fernando said the attacker had asked one of his neighbours to “take the telephone from him to tell whoever was on the phone his location”.

“Within two seconds after that she’s realised something isn’t right, started running and he’s pulled a samurai sword from the back of his trousers,” he added.

He saw the neighbour shout to warn a boy who was on his way to school – but the man attacked him.

“It’s quite traumatising now. I can’t stop envisioning the boy’s face,” Mr Fernando added.