Politics

May 28, 2024

Information on Tinubu addressing joint NASS session on May 29 false — Presidency

Stable power

By Johnbosco Agbakwuru, Abuja 

The Presidency has described the statement that President Bola Tinubu will address a joint session of the National Assembly on May 29 as false and unauthorised.

The Presidency said that the Office of President Tinubu was not involved in the planning of the event.

The Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Mr. Bayo Onanuga, had earlier in a statement said that President Tinubu will not make any broadcast on May 29.

Rather, he said, Tinubu would address the joint session of the National Assembly.

Onanuga had, in the statement, explained that President Tinubu’s speech will dwell on the achievements of his administration and Nigeria’s democracy since the military ceded power in 1999.

He further said, “Former Senate President, Senator David Mark, former speaker of the House of Representatives and now President Tinubu’s Chief of Staff, Rt. Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila are all lined up to address the parliament. 

“Also lined up to speak is the former military ruler, General Abdulsalami Abubakar, who handed over power to civilian administration in 1999.

“At the end of the speeches, President Tinubu will commission the National Assembly Library and  Resource Centre, now to be known as Bola Ahmed Tinubu Building.”

‘False, unauthorised’

However, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Chief Ajuri Ngelale, in another statement, described the former one as false and unauthorised.

The Presidential spokesman said: “In furtherance of his commitment to delivering good governance, President Bola Tinubu has embarked on the inauguration of strategic projects across the country.

“More transformative projects will be inaugurated by President Tinubu’s administration for the benefit of all Nigerians.

“In view of public commentary concerning the President delivering a speech before a joint sitting of the National Assembly tomorrow, May 29, 2024, it is important to state that this information is false and unauthorised as the Office of the President was not involved in the planning of the event.”

Vanguard News