April 16, 2024

Some of my ex-classmates now have 3 children each for insurgents —Freed Chibok girl

US lawmakers pass resolution on Chibok girls, Boko Haram

Chibok girls

.. explains why she married terrorist

YOLA—ONE of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls, who escaped in 2016, Amina Nkeki, has disclosed that some of her former classmates, still in captivity, now have at least three children each for insurgents.

Nkeki spoke when she featured on Sunrise Daily, a programme on Channels Television on Sunday.

Nkeki, who regained freedom with a baby in her arms, is now a 200-level student of Mass Communication at a university in Yola, the Adamawa State capital.

On April 14, 2014, terrorists stormed the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok, Borno State and abducted about 276 girls.

Some of the girls have been released through the years, others commandeered their escape, while about 108 are still missing.

Nkeki said: “Some of them are mothers of three children, four children. It’s not easy for them. I feel so sad because that place is not a good place for anyone.”

She added that the former schoolgirls are facing hunger, sickness and many other challenges of motherhood in captivity.
On why she agreed to marry one of the insurgents while in captivity as an escape strategy, she said: “For me, I married so that I will get the freedom to go where I wanted and from there, I will escape.

“They (insurgents) told us that if we didn’t agree to marry them, we were going to be their slaves. So, because of that fear, some of us thought instead of being slaves, let’s get married.

“That’s how some people decided to get married. And some people took all the risk. Some of us got married that maybe it will be a way of escape, most especially a person like me.”

Nkeki also recounted how she escaped, saying it happened when the troops engaged the insurgents in a gun battle.
She said: “I escaped when soldiers were in the forest to fight those Boko Haram people. They (insurgents) were running to the bush to hide and we (the hostages) also ran.

“After that, we went our own way. That was how we escaped but because of how big the bush was, we didn’t know our way. It took us one month plus before we came out (of the forest).”