Omeiza Ajayi, Abuja

Determined to stave off further terror attacks on the territory, the Federal Capital Territory Administration FCTA on Wednesday stormed a forest in Pasali village along the Kuje – Gwagwalada road which is allegedly notorious for serving as a recreational zone for bandits.

The administration had on Monday launched a week-long demolition exercise in Kuje, a decision ot took after the recent terrorist attack on the Prisons on the area.

Senior Special Assistant on Monitoring, Inspection and Enforcement to the FCT minister, Attah Ikharo who addressed journalists after the exercise, said the demolition of Pasali forest near Kuje Local Education Authority Secretariat was to clear the area of illegalities and restore the approved plan.

“We have reclaimed the vegetable market and others which had been taken over by other people.

“The Minister of FCT and the Commissioner of Police are fully aware of the exercise, and we will continue to reclaim the areas designated for special purposes”, he stated

However, those affected by the ongoing demolition of the illegal structures behind prison command on the railway corridor said they bought their plots from traditional rulers in the area.

The affected persons blamed the monarchs for not doing enough to protect their interests but rather inflicting pains on them.

One of the victims, Bridget Ekelechukwu of the Divine Choosen Spiritual Ministry for the Less Privileged said; “We have been here for over 12 years. I know that this area is a railway corridor but I was deceived by the monarchs and their people that the railway is not coming.

“I have never been to Kuje, no surveyor measured this land for me. But after we started staying here, the first people that came to meet me was Gomo’s family. I told them I do not know them.

“I discovered it was a railway corridor about five years ago. I have about 19 children. I registered the Ministry but I haven’t completed the registration for the orphanage. My registration with Social Development Secretariat is there”.

However, Secretary to Gomo of Kuje, Alhaji Mohammed Usman denied the allegation, and described it as false.

He said: “What the people are saying is false. Let them bring the agreement that His Royal Highness sold land to them. Anybody accusing Gomo, should bring proof. We have nothing to hide” he said.

For David Musa, the demolition will bring about sanity in the area. “I want to commend the government for clearing of Kuje, this place (Pasali, close to LEA secretariat) has been a criminal hideout because of the trees and other things. As this place is cleared, the problem of insecurity in Kuje has been reduced.

“Suspected bandits come here to relax during the day and strike in the night. Like yesterday about 15 people were kidnapped along Kwaku area in Kuje. Clearing some of these places is a good thing” he alleged.

Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.