.Buni approves N454.2m for retirees, next of Kin of deceased LG staff

SPECIAL REPORT

By Soni Daniel, Northern Region Editor

NOT many knew about his political sagacity and strong leadership acumen until he emerged on the horizon as the Governor of Yobe State in 2019.

But after a few years on the saddle as governor of the state and as the Caretaker Chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress, it is clear that Governor Mai Mala Buni is an undisputed apostle of good governance, educational development, health care delivery and economic transformation that have lifted the soul of Yobe State and altered the people and the landscape of the state.

Today, things are looking up for the people given the numerous projects, policies and programmes, which the governor spearheaded since his inception, which have brought real change to the lives of citizens of the state being troubled by Boko Haram terrorists routinely.

Apparently armed with his background in the family business in trade and transportation, Buni came into office with a mission to succeed and add value to the state and its people by embarking on life-changing projects and programmes in the various sectors of the state economy. These have already begun to yield positive dividends, earning him accolades in the process.

But his core priorities appear to be in the areas of education, health care delivery and economic empowerment for the people. Upon taking over the reins of governance, Buni immediately declared a state of emergency in the decrepit state of education he met on the ground and pumped in more money and personnel into the sector as well as built and upgraded more schools to meet the expectations of the administration.

Also Read:

As a demonstration of his resolve to change the face of education in the state, Governor Buni has not only mobilised a massive sum of N2.1 billion into the sector but has also actively rehabilitated no fewer than 300 schools across the state in the past two and a half years of his leadership.

Additionally, the governor has seen the construction of six models and seven mega schools as a deliberate effort and programme to decongest schools and provide a conducive learning environment for students and teachers. The administration has also procured books, teaching aids and equipment for schools worth over N1 billion all in a bid to enhance teaching and learning in Yobe State.

In a proactive measure to cater for the health of his people, Governor Buni has embarked on a deliberate upgrading and construction of new health projects across the length and breadth of the state to broaden access to healthcare delivery and give succour to the natives. Under the healthcare programme, Buni has upgraded and constructed no fewer than 130 health centres out of the 178 he promised at the inception of his administration.

Specifically, the administration has upgraded four health centres to general hospitals and lifted three general hospitals to teaching hospitals, revamped the state’s teaching hospital and built a massive maternal and child hospital in the state within the period.

But to prepare and procure the personnel who would man these health institutions being established and upgraded, the Buni administration has sponsored 233 indigenes of the state to study medicine and surgery and basic medical sciences in various universities in India. They are expected to return to manage the state’s health services in the future, thereby solving the perennial challenge of key health personnel shortage that is currently afflicting many states in the north.

Governor Buni has also delved into the area of economic and industrial development with the revamping of the moribund flour mills, aluminium and polythene factories as well as the construction of four modern markets in the state capital, Damatruru, Potiskum, Gashua and Nguru to enhance trade and commerce. In the same vein, the administration is building a cargo airport to promote international trade, tourism and travels to and from the state.

The training of artisans – men, women and youths in various trades are also being undertaken by the Buni administration. So far, no fewer than 609 of such beneficiaries have been trained in paint production, 300 in inter-locking technology, 100 in automobile works and 300 in point of sale operations. But the real beauty in the empowerment scheme undertaken by the administration is the equipping of no fewer than 2000 women with ruminants to start their businesses.

As a governor who presides over Yobe, one of the Northeastern states under constant harassment and attacks by Boko Haram terrorists leading to the dislocation of natives from their communities, Buni has worked assiduously with international agencies and corporate institutions to rehabilitate thousands of displaced persons back to their normal lives and given them a sense of hope and confidence in the midst of the conflicts ravaging many parts of the northeast today.

Governor Buni is a strong political leader who has breathed life and vibrancy into the All Progressives Congress since his appointment as National Caretaker Committee Chairman. He has not only increased the population of the ruling party but has also successfully reconciled many factions and political actors who left the party or were on the verge of leaving for other parties, thereby strengthening the bond, unity and cohesion of the party ahead of the next election.

Governor Buni is a man of the people who have provided strong political and economic direction and good governance for his people and deserves resounding applause for what he has so far done in Yobe State.

Vanguard News Nigeria

Subscribe to our youtube channel