COSEYL backs Ortom on call for farmers to bear arms

By Peter Duru

Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State has ordered investigation into the alleged sexual abuse of female students of the Federal Science and Technical College, FSTC, Otukpo, Otukpo Local Government Area of the state, by a male staff of the institution.

The governor’s directive is coming on the heels of recent social media reports few days back that a male staff of the school (name withheld) was taking advantage of the female students and abusing them sexually.

The state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Micheal Gusa who made this known, yesterday,  in Makurdi said given the directive, his office had taken up the issue and petitioned security agencies to commence investigation into the matter  to bring the culprit to book.

Gusa said: “There was this online publication in which the author indicated that there were sexual assaults on female students of FSTC Otukpo by a staff of the college.

“The governor directed that I take up the matter with the security agencies for proper investigation, so that the culprit can be brought to justice.

READ ALSO: Ortom orders investigation into alleged sexual abuse of FSTC Otukpo female students

“This is a threat to our female children, who are in the school. It does not speak well of our society and it also does not speak well of the future of the girl child for staff of such a school to engage in assaulting them.

“So, in compliance with the directive, we have written a complaint to the Commissioner of Police and also to the Director, Department of State Services, DSS to carry out a discrete investigation into the matter to ascertain the veracity of the allegation.

“We want the society to know that government’s attention had been drawn to it and we have taken up the matter to ensure that justice is done in the circumstance.”

NCoS re-arrests 21 escapees from Jos prisons, says spokesman

The Nigerian Correctional Service, NCoS, Plateau State Command, has arrested 21 inmates who escaped from the Jos prison, when gunmen attacked the facility, recently.

Mr. Geofrey Longdiem, the Public Relations Officer, PRO of the command, disclosed this, yesterday, in Jos.

Recall that gunmen invaded the prisons centre on November 28, 2021,  killed a personnel of the prison  and nine inmates, while 252 inmates escaped during the invasion.

Mr Mohammed Tukur, Deputy Controller General of prisons, in charge of Operations, blamed the attack on paucity of modern equipment and other gadgets.

Longdiem said that the Service had in collaboration with other security agencies been working assiduously to arrest the remaining inmates

“As at today, we have recaptured 21 of the inmates who escaped during the last attack at our prison in Jos,” he said

He said some of the inmates voluntarily returned.

Two inmates were brought back to the prison by their mother.

VANGUARD NEWS NIGERIA

Subscribe to our youtube channel

Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.