The National Economic Council, NEC, has expressed outrage at the kidnap of schoolboys from Government Science Secondary School, Kankara, Katsina State, proffering possible means by which future abductions can be stopped.
The National Economic Council chaired by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo also expressed worries over the second wave of coronavirus in Nigeria, calling for strict enforcement of measures to contain the spread of the disease across the country.
In a statement by Laolu Akande, the spokesperson to Prof Osinbajo, NEC described the abduction as a “despicable act” as it called for cooperation to stop a repeat action.
“NEC expressed outrage on the kidnapping of the boys in their school premises and utterly condemned the brazen act of the abductors as not only criminal and lawless but a deliberate attempt to sow seeds of fear in people,” the statement said.
“The members while supporting immediate steps already taken by the Federal and State governments to rescue the boys, urged for more effective collaboration between security agencies and the communities to ensure that such despicable act does not repeat itself anywhere in the country,” the statement added.
It would be recalled that on Thursday night, the kidnapped students of Government Science Secondary School, Kankara, Katsina State were safely returned to their families.
On COVID-19, NEC said it is alarmed that the current trends are now approaching or surpassing the levels reached during the lockdown imposed at the height of the epidemic earlier in the year.
“The country is now experiencing a huge resurgence of COVID-19 patients needing intensive care and the existing health facilities are fast becoming overwhelmed,” NEC noted.
The virtual NEC meeting was attended by State Governors, Minister of the Federal Capital Territory and other federal ministers.