…Says Over the years, 13 out of these Killings were carried out by South African Police
…South African High Commissioner to Nigeria Moroe Visits Lawan
By Henry Umoru
ABUJA- PRESIDENT of the Senate, Senator Ahmad Lawan Monday reiterated that Nigeria as a country will no longer condone the continuous killings of Nigerians in South Africa.
According to him, over the years, 118 Nigerians have been killed, while 13 out of these were killed by South African Police, just as he said that Nigeria would no longer condone such killings, and urged South African government to as a matter of responsibility, protect Nigerians residing there.
Lawan who noted that Xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa must stop, warning that further attack on Nigerians would no longer be condoned, adding that about 118 Nigerians have so far lost their lives in different attacks over the years, out of which 13 were by South African Police.
Speaking yesterday in Abuja when he hosted the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr. Bobby Moroe, the President of the Senate, said that it has become pertinent considering the incessant attacks on Nigerians residing in South Africa.
Moroe and his delegation paid the visit to brief the Senate leadership on his government’s investigations to unravel the causes of the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and steps being taken to stop it.
Lawan said: “We in the Parliament must speak and prevent any further killings. These killings must stop. This is the era of social media where corpse of a victim may spark violence that may go beyond the control of government.
“The South African government must as a matter of urgency do whatever it takes to protect the lives and property of Nigerians living there, just as Nigerian government remain committed to the safety of South Africans residing here and their investments.
“I believe we have faced enough, we will no longer take it anymore. We want to write the names of Nigerians killed, and the South African parliament must act fast to put a stop to this menace.
“Over the years, 118 Nigerians have been killed, while 13 out of these were killed by South African Police”.
President of the Senate who recalled the enormous contributions of Nigeria to South Africa during the apartheid rule, said, “we must establish events leading into these killings, including the recent one of Mrs.Elizabeth Chukwu, who was killed in her hotel room.”
While commending the High Commissioner for the updates, Lawan said, “the update on the cause of late Mrs. Chukwu’s death is heartwarming. It is a sign that something has been done in this regards.”
Earlier in his remarks, Mr. Moroe, who expressed regret over the killings of Nigerians and extended his country’s condolences to the families of the victims said that, an inquest had been instituted to investigate all cases of xenophobic attacks in the country.
The inquest, he said would reveal the cause of the menace and find solutions across board, and reiterated the commitment of South African government and its law enforcement agencies to get to the root of the matter while bringing to book perpetrators of the attacks.
“Our government will continue to be committed to the good relationship with Nigeria. Your sentiment has gone deep into our heart, and you will be happy that the same sentiment has been our concern in South Africa.
“On behalf of the government of South Africa, we express our sincere condolences to Nigerian government for this unfortunate incident.”