…Bereaved mother relocates

…Hospital mgt pays condolence visit to family

By Chioma Obinna, Bose Adelaja, Gabriel Olawale & Elizabeth Nwandu

LAGOS—THE Lagos University Teaching Hospital, LUTH, yesterday, disclosed that no fewer than 200 doctors comprising different specialists were on ground battling to save the life of the slain resident doctor, Dr Stephen Urueye, who was stabbed to death by suspected hoodlums last week Thursday.


The management of the hospital said it was mourning even as it paid a condolence visit to the family.

This came just as the bereaved mother has been relocated to an undisclosed destination

The hospital management said it did its best to save the late 25-year –old medical doctor but his injuries turned out to be fatal as he lost a lot of blood.

Kidnapping: Gov. El-Rufai’s convoy saves motorists on Kaduna-Abuja highway

Reliable hospital sources told Vanguard that the deceased was transfused with not less than 12 pints of blood because he was severally stabbed.

The source also narrated how the doctors were taking turns to administer Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, CPR, which is an emergency procedure to resuscitate patients with cardiac arrest, right inside the hospital’s Accident and Emergency Unit.

The source said: “Immediately he was admitted at the emergency unit, almost all the consultants in the hospital came to his rescue. They carried out CPR on him, you know CPR is a difficult task, the doctors were excellent.

“They took turns to administer it.  When one got tired, the next person took over. At a point, he regained consciousness and was rushed to the ICU but he later gave up. It was so sad for the hospital and his friends were in sober mood because he was a nice person and friendly.”

Narrating how the late Stephen made it to the hospital after he was stabbed, the source said, in an attempt to save his life, he ran back towards the hospital’s Idi Araba gate where security officers rescued him.

It was gathered that his girlfriend who was with him at that time, joined the team of doctors at the A&E, shivering.

The source said the hospital management almost had a problem contacting the family but the situation was saved by the girlfriend who alerted that late Stephen left his phone in the hostel.

“When they found his phone, it was locked with fingerprint, so it took some time before they discovered the particular finger he  used to unlock the phone. The Chief Medical Director, Professor Chris Bode was here till 1:30 am on that day. All the full-time consultants were on ground to rescue the guy.

Woman dies from snake bite hours after wedding

“The incident did not happen inside LUTH but around the Canal area just closed to the Sickle cell centre around 9 pm on Thursday. He was not armed but strolling with his friend from the hospital towards Ojuelegba when some suspected hoodlums robbed them of their belongings. I think they collected his girl friend’s phone and other belongings,” the source affirmed.

We’re securing our hospital – LUTH CMD

The Chief Medical Director, Prof Chris Bode, said the hospital was in mourning.

Prof Bode said: “No human being should lose his /her life like that in the first place. We are in the business of saving lives and when it happened, we were ready to save his life. Over 200 doctors were on standby to save his life.   It is not what anybody should pray for. This is somebody that just finished school and a day after, he was killed. This is the time we should pray for the family and friends.”

Bode, who decried the level of insecurity in the country, said LUTH as a community is already engaging with other government agencies and private security apparatus.

He said: “We can never be too careful but we are in the business of saving life and anything we can do to save a life we will do that.  We are still mourning the tragic loss of a doctor.  He has just graduated. Don’t forget we are standing between two hot spots, Mushin and Idiarba, both are volatile areas.

“We have security within the hospital, aside the police post, we have local security,

We have sent the hospital delegates to pay a condolence visit to the family, because we had called the family to break the news so that they would not hear from a third party.  We are also ready to give medical assistance to members of his family,” Bode stated.

Bereaved mother relocated

Meanwhile, the distraught mother of the slain doctor, Alhaja Aderonke Agoro, has been temporarily relocated from her residence located at Omolade Osinowo in Mafoluku area of Lagos.

The movement, Vanguard gathered, was to afford the widow to be under close watch by her relatives, owing to the demise of her only son.

When will the PDP come clean on Badeh

Co-tenants kept sealed lips when approached but one directed Vanguard correspondent to the entrance of the bereaved family’s apartment.

The apartment was shut to visitors.

However, a woman later identified as the deceased’s elder sister, Memunat, said the family would no longer attend to unknown faces, saying it would aggravate already tensed mood.

When Vanguard inquired about the burial plans for her late brother, she responded, in a low tone, fighting hard to control her emotion, “we don’t want people to come here again because this will aggravate the situation apart from the fact that my mother is not around now.”

Asked about the burial plans, she said: “Our family meetings will be made private likewise the burial plans. Please, I don’t want to comment on this.”


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.