By Evelyn Usman
lagos—Explosion from a local gas station rocked Aguda area of Surulere, Lagos, yesterday, destroying buildings, cars and goods worth several millions of naira.
Four vehicles and three motor bikes parked in a mechanic workshop were burnt, while a bungalow and a mosque were partially affected by the fire. Some residents sustained minor injuries during the stampede that ensued.
Vanguard gathered that the incident occurred barely two weeks after the gas station, located on Olatunde Onimole Street by Censors Market, opened for business.
Meanwhile, owners of the affected shops were lamenting their losses, claiming that they kicked against the gas station being sited close to residential buildings when it was opened, but that the owner of the building and most residents turned deaf ears to their complaints.
One of them, Nnamdi Chionye, said: “I lost all my goods in the fire. When the gas station was opened, we knew it was a disaster waiting to happen. We complained but nobody listened to us.”
While the fire was raging, another inferno engulfed a two-storey building on Adebiyi Street in Magodo area of the state.
Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Mr Rasaki Musibau, who visited the Surulere fire scene, said no life was lost in both incidents. He said Sarri Iganmu and Ilupeju fire stations responded to the distress call at about 12.38p.m.
He advised Lagosians to be fire-safety conscious and also to empower themselves with basic fire fighting devices so as to prevent colossal loss of life and property in the event of fire.
He added that the fire at Magodo affected part of the building.
He said: “No fire is too big or small. Effort should be made at contacting the Fire Service, even at the instance of a spark.”