Dear Bunmi,

I recently broke up with my girlfriend after I was violent towards her. After a while, we agreed there could be a way back to resurrecting the relationship and are willing to try.

The problem is her dad. He was very furious that I was violent towards his daughter and now I don’t know how to repair the damage I have caused to her father who even now, I had a great respect for.

How can I approach him, or have I lost any relationship we must have dad in the past for good?


Paul, By e-mail.

Dear Paul,

You obviously are ashamed of your behaviour and want to make a fresh start. Unfortunately, you can’t regain someone’s trust in a moment. Think how you would feel if someone battered your daughter.

It’ll take a lot of hard work to show you have changed. But at the moment it’s not about him. Convince his daughter you’ve changed and that it will not happen again.

There’s a chance she could then have a word with her dad and he may come round. But have you sort counselling?

Subscribe for latest Videos


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.