March 25, 2019

Court frees suspected killers of Abuja bizman, Tony Eze



By Emmanuel Elebeke

abuja—An Abuja High Court sitting at Maitama District, has discharged and acquitted six persons suspected to have killed a popular Abuja-based business man, Tony Eze.

The late business man was killed in November 2014 after an outing at Tunga-Maji area of Federal Capital Territory, FCT.

In a judgment that nearly sparked protests in Abuja, the six suspects: Anayo Eze 19; Idris Shaibu; Alisa Calamity; Okechukwu Nelson (27); Emmanuel Igwe (22); Samuel Okoro (19) and Austin Nwanba (47) accused of killing the business man were freed by the court.

The suspects were arraigned and charged on 14th April, 2015 before Hon. Justice Salisu Garba by the prosecutor, Malik Taiwo, on behalf of the Inspector General of Police for committing culpable homicide punishable by death and the killing of late Mr. Anthony Eze along Zuba-Tunga Maje Express Way, FCT, Abuja.

Woman nabbed while dumping lover’s corpse in bush

It was a case of the prosecution accusing Anayo Eze, a friend of the deceased of hiring other defendants to rob and kill the late Anthony Eze.

Delivering his judgment, the trial Judge, Justice Salisu Garba freed the six suspects on the following grounds: that the weapon used in committing the robbery and murder was not tendered in evidence; that plea of alibi by some defendants was not investigated; that the owner of the shop where the deceased was killed did not identify other five defendants except Augustine Wamba and that the defendant who was in possession of Nokia E5 belonging to the deceased explained how he got it.

Meanwhile, the second accused person had earlier during cross examination by the prosecutor told the court in his confessional statements how he left out to catch fun with late Anthony   at their normal joint in Zuba Abuja before he was shot few minutes after he left the scene.

One Usman Abdulazeez had also told the court how  he bought the Nokia E5 from the first accused belonging to the deceased after he was killed.

Apart from the confessional statements of the first accused person and other statements from his co-accused persons, the deceased property  and photograph tendered by the prosecutor, the accused were finally discharged and acquitted by the trial court.

When contacted, the counsel to the deceased said they would take a position as soon as they studied the judgment.