CBN takes financial inclusion campaign to schools

Kindly Share This Story:

By Emma Ujah, Abuja Bureau Chief

The Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, has taken its financial inclusion campaign to secondary schools with a view to “catching them young,” in its efforts toward expanding the Nigerian banking population.

Addressing students of Government Secondary School, Wuse, Abuja, yesterday, at an event to mark this year’s Money Week, Deputy Governor, Financial System Stability, Mrs. Aisha Ahmad, said the quest for financial inclusion needed to be taken to schools to build in them, a culture of savings and investments.

She quoted actor Will Smith as saying, “Too many people spend money they haven’t earned on things they don’t want to impress people they don’t like,” and urged the students to avoid such a lifestyle.

The deputy governor, who disclosed that similar campaigns were being held in other zones across the country, identified budgeting as critical to success in life, as according to her, “budgeting helps you to make better economic decisions.”

She urged the students to avoid the lifestyle of wastage and always think of how they could add value to their families and the larger society.

Fielding questions from the media, she said: “We want to impact on people that are younger than us because we walked the road that they are walking.

“We know what is coming ahead and we are telling them things that we wish we knew, and things that we wish we said.

“What we do at the Central Bank, as the governor always says, is for us to create economy that benefits all Nigerians. They need to be financially literate; they need to have believe in themselves; they need to know the proper way to earn money.

“We need to start to encourage people to follow their innate skills and to follow their own path.

“My message is do the right thing, study hard, try and understand yourself. Try and understand who you are, what you like to do and see how you can use what you have to do to change the world to make the world a better place.

“Look around there are many things that we might not like that is going on, that we can change. We need to now start activating ourselves in, ‘what can I do?’

“When you earn, try and save. When you save, try and invest. We must invest in order to get returns.”

Kindly Share This Story:
All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from VANGUARD NEWS.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!