By Emmanuel Aziken
Successful recruits into the National Pension Commission, Pencom, have petitioned Acting President Yemi Osibanjo over the suspension of their appointments which they said has led to the death of one of them, Ajiya Mustapha.
The recruits in a Save our Soul (SOS) message to Osinbajo dated August 9, 2018 and signed by Mustapha Sadiq and Ismaila Oluwatosin Gazail on behalf of the affected recruits described the blocking of their assumption of duty since May 2017 as “unfortunate” and their conditions as “pitiful.”
They wrote: “After the completion of a successful aptitude test, which was conducted in December 2016/January 2017, and further to various rigorous interviews and screening processes, we were employed as staff of PENCOM via offer Letters of Employment dated March 2017.
“In line with our Letter of Employment, we were to resume our duties on May 2nd and 5th June 2017, respectively. We signed and dropped our acceptance letters with the Commission accordingly. However, to our surprise, prior to the date of resumption, we were informed via telephone calls that our resumption had been postponed indefinitely.
“Note that upon collection of our various Letters of Employment in March 2017 and the resumption dates stipulated therein, we resigned from our previous places of employment. As such we have been totally unemployed for over one year now.”
In a reply to their letter dated 4th April 2018 and referenced as 56331/S.3/C2/I/T/99, the SGF, said that “a response from the Commission stated that the decision was based on the need to allow for a review of the earlier recruitment exercise(s) to: ensure compliance with Extant Laws and due process; recruitment within approved manpower establishment; and provide required infrastructure to accommodate new appointees.”