…Says demolition devoid of political motivation
By Adeola Badru
IBADAN- FOLLOWING the partial demolition of the Fresh FM building owned by the popular gospel musician, Mr. Yinka Ayefele, the Oyo State Government has denied that it received any court injunction restraining it from demolishing the radio station as against insinuations in some quarters.
The reaction came on the heels of a press conference held Monday at the Film Theatre of the state Ministry of Information, Culture and Tourism to douse the tension being created by the demolition.
According to the government Lead Counsel, Chief Yomi Aliyu (SAN) while clarifying his earlier comment immediately after the court proceedings: “I never said the Oyo State Government is not responsible for the demolition. What I said was that the governor will investigate whether the body that carried out the demolition, if the demolition had been done, because I’ve not seen the demolition. I have not seen any demolition exercise carried out anywhere, and with this, photos on display could be photoshop, we have to be empirical about whether there is demolition or not.”
“First and foremost, there was no order of injunction before today and even today as at this time, there is no order of injunction about anybody. There is no undertaking that the place will not be re-visited by anybody.”
“I never said that Oyo State Government is not aware of it, but I said having worked in the civil service before, he should understand the bureacracy of acts of government, that it takes time before a process or a letter gets to the table of the governor.”
“And I said in court that service should be personal that the learned Attorney-General was served personally. If I was in their shoes, I would take the ballif personally to the important personalities in the civil service.
“I said the governor will investigate whether the body that carried out the demolition, if the demolition had been done, because I’ve not seen the demolition I said it in court. I have not seen any demolition exercises carried out anywhere, and with this, photoshop can be done on photos on display. we have to be empirical whether there is demolition.”
No injucuntion till now and the case has been adjourned till September 11,” he stated.
In the submission of the state Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Barr. Seun Abimbola, he noted that there was no time any court of law gave injunction against demolition of the Music House.
He said, “There is a limit to what I can say because the case is in court. There is a limit to what can be said about arguments that have already being submitted or requested by the court of law here.”
“Let me also say unequivocally that there was no injunction. There was never at any point in time to any statement, any publication to that like is false.”
“On the issue whether the government was served , that issue came out in court this morning there are arguments front and back on that, so you cannot give a comment on it while the court is yet to decide these issues. Let me also say unequivocally that there was no injunction.
In the reaction of Mr. David Ajiboye, the spokesperson for Yinka Ayefele while speaking with Vanguard on the telephone about the denial of the state government on receiving any court injunction, he pointed out that it was a ploy to hide the real fact, adding that the state government was served the court injunction.
In his words: “I was at the court and their lead counsel denied it. But when the judge brought out a copy of the injunction the court bailiff served them on Thursday last week, which was received at the Governor’s Office and the office of the Attorney-General, their counsel was dumb founded; he could not say anything again.
“They were not prepared for it, because if they were prepared for it, their counsel to the governor will not say that Ajimobi did not demolish the place and the commissioner saying another thing that they were not served court injunction. We believe in the rule of law and we respect the position of the court.”
“Their defence counsel said it was not the state government that carried out the demolition, that they should set up a committee to investigate the matter. Everything is on tape,” Ajiboye added.
While speaking at the press conference, the Director-General of Bureau of Physical Planning and Development control, Alhaji Waheed Gbadamosi hinted that: “The demolition was not politically motivated as being peddled in some quarters,” stating that the government did the needful and follow due process following the deliberate deviant posture of the radio owner, ignoring series of letter forwarded to him, demanding to submit a fresh building plan application that would reflect.
He disclosed that on June 14, 2017, the agency formally requested for the planning approval of the radio station through a letter which was received by a staff in his office named Bamiduro Aderonke.
“However, the said the submitted approval approval is not in tandem with the existing radio house. Thus, the approval submitted deviated significantly from what is on ground.”