By Chimaobi Nwaiwu, Nnewi
A dangerous chemical that had irritating sulphurous odour has claimed the lives of no fewer than seven persons with several others hospitalized at Umuzu Mbana, Otolo Nnewi in Nnewi North Local Government Area of Anambra State. This was disclosed yesterday by President General of the community, Hon Tony Afam Muodielo while addressing newsmen, in Nnewi.
He said ,”We are concerned about the devastating effect of a dangerous chemical discovered at a site in our community around March this year for which we drew the attention of the government but nothing so far has been done by government to save my people from the killer chemical.
“A new dimension to the problem was that every evening smoke from the site would envelope the entire community with very offensive and irritating odour that suffocate the residents
“Surroundings of the chemical site are caving in and the emission has become stronger. We have tried to put out the burning fire underground to no avail and we decided to leave the rains to deal with it.
“The situation has refused to abate despite the heavy rains so far experienced this year, the fire keeps on raging from the ground as if the rains are fueling it as it produces thick smoke.
“Last night, after a little rain, we were unable to sleep. The most astonishing thing is that we have been recording sudden deaths in recent time. Within a space of two months, we have lost seven persons and we do not known the cause of their death.