As parents, your child’s academic excellence isn’t difficult to attain. Many parents have settled for an average score, many think that the a 1st position or 100% score is restricted to some super children only. Parents whose children are excellent will agree that they are continuously involved in the success of their children. Being involved and playing a part in your child’s academics growth is the key to academic excellence. See top strategies lined up to help parents put their kids to top flight.
1. Let them teach you what they learnt at school: This particular tip is highly researched. Students spend 8 hours at school simply learning, listening and interacting. The Learning Pyramid in the 1960s by the NTL Institute in Bethel shows that learners remember:
“5% of what they learn when they’ve learned from lecture.”
But the same learners remember:
90% of what they learn when they teach someone else/use immediately.
Amazing! So, get your child to teach you what he learnt in class. Spend one hour, just listening and “learning” from him and 1hour working through exercises, asking questions or dialoguing on the subject.
2. Use of flash cards – Flash cards are simple, versatile, yet often underexploited resource. It works well for visual learners especially for those within the reading age. This is a great way to present, practise and recycle vocabulary to help children get familiar with words.
3. Use of Mnemonic- The use of Mnemonics is an interesting approach to learning as they are memory tools, especially helpful for non-mathematical subject. It could be a phrase or a short song that children can use to remember something like MR. NIGER D
4. Incorporation of brain enhancing activities – There are series of activities that have proven to help improve children’s IQ. Good examples are learning board games, art and craft learning and learning musical instruments.
5. Use of swift maths tricks– This is a very effective way to aid fast calculations while also making your child appear to be a genius thus building their self-confidence and often building their curiosity in maths.
6. Get a home tutor in Lagos – This is by far one of the most effective ways to help your child succeed. US department of education recently reported that:
Over the past 10 years, one-on-one tutoring has had the strongest positive effect on reading scores for elementary school students.
Tutored students show greater school attendance.
Students receiving at least four hours of tutoring per week showed a six-month gain in reading and a two-year gain in math.
Tutored students performed higher on standardized test scores in the areas of mathematics and language arts.
Students with private home tutors reported an increase in confidence and an improved attitude towards education.
Amazing! The great thing about getting a home tutors in Lagos is they can easily help you with strategy number 1 – 6, because the truth is very few parents can afford to spend 2 hours learning from their kids every day of the week.
Even if you are outside of Lagos, you can get a home tutor in Abuja, home tutor in Port Harcourt or anywhere in Nigeria.
Anyone can work as a tutor but it’s an important investment to commit to novices. Prepclass is Nigeria’s biggest tutoring marketplace with a database of over 20,000 tutors to choose from and over 1000 happy families who have worked with them.
They only work with the experienced tutors that have worked with children at all levels with various academic needs only for them to become more sound, inspired and ready for bigger challenges.
Sign up here Get home tutors in Lagos call us on 09035321117 or 08059811502