By Chimaobi Nwaiwu
NNEWI—LANDLORDS and residents of New City Atoji Housing Estate, Nkwelle Ezunaka, Oyi Local Government Area of Anambra State have accused the police of shielding killers of their security man, Mr. Friday Attah, who was killed on Thursday 19 July 2018 while his colleague, Mr. Uche Kalu badly injured.
The residents alleged that this is not the first time the police command in the state was covering up the killings of their security men by youths suspected to be from Osile Ogbunike, Oyi Local Government Area of the state.
They therefore petitioned the Inspector General of Police, IGP, and the Anambra State Commissioner of Police through their lawyer, Mr. Michael Izugbo, expressing sadness of Police inability to arrest the leader of the youths they alleged were behind the attack and killing of Attah and battering of Kalu’s leg and waist with bullets.
Even the chairman of the landlords association of the estate, Mr. Uche Okeke had made similar allegations while addressing newsmen.
He said that youths of Osile Ogbunike have been attacking them and killing their security men without the police in the state arresting any of the people they mentioned in their petitions over such killings.
Izugbo also in the petition said, “previously, the chief security man of the estate, Sunday Eze was killed in similar circumstances on February, 28, 2017; David Kure on March 10, 2017; Friday Okorie and Sunday Nweke also security men were abducted on May 7, 2018 and until date, none of them have been seen alive or dead.”
But reacting, the Anambra State Police Command through the Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Mr Mohammed Haruna, denied the allegations and promised that the Police will be fair to all after its investigation.
The police told Vanguard that investigations are still ongoing over the killing. He however, declined comment on the number of people so far arrested,