By Chimaobi Nwaiwu
NNEWI—INTERNATIONAL Society for Civil Liberties and the Rule of Law, Intersociety yesterday, released the names of 150 pro-Biafra activists allegedly massacred by the Nigerian Army.
They included Chinedu Uwandu (Imo State), Ogochukwu Joseph Ogbah (Abia State), Henry Ogar Ogoyi (Cross River State), Kelechi Meshach Metu (Imo State), Odika Osime Chukwuma (Anambra State), Onyeka Ujam (Enugu State), Celestine Aga (Enugu State), Joseph Ifeanyichukwu Agbayisi (Anambra State), Blessing Adaku Odoemena (Abia State) and Imo Emele Uduma Okemini (Abia State),
Other alleged slained pro-Biafra activists, according to Intersociety, were Emmanuel Ugochukwu Nwachukwu (Imo State), Okwudiri Samuel Obika (Imo State), Anayo Anyanwu (Imo State), Udoette Miracle Udofia (Akwa Ibom State), MaCois Palibor ( Bayelsa State), Ogbogu Okoro (Abia State), Chigozie Ikechukwu (Abia State), Ikenna Okorie (Abia State), Adiele Paul (Abia State), Ahamuefuna Austin Nnamdi (Imo State) and Kelvin Nnamdi Ikeme, a 25-yr-old trader who was allegedly shot and killed by soldiers on 30th May 2018 along Uratta by Port Harcourt Road, Aba, after which his body was dragged miles away by killer soldiers from the spot where he was killed and later dumped inside a pit.
Intersociety gave the names of the shot and injured pro Biafra activists as Kingsley Olisakwe, Chinedu Okeke, Nzube Elekwa, Peter Ohiagu, Wisdom Joseph, John Evans, Peter Chukwu Blessing, Chibuisi Obialo, Obinna Nwaobasi, Ginika Basil, Uche Ikechukwu, Odinaka Onyeka, Michael Solomon, Eje Friday, Onwuabuchi Alozie Uwa, Moses Okeke and Isaiah Mmaduabuchi.
The group accused the Defence Headquarters of the Nigerian Army of collaborating with their soldiers in the Southeast to massacre the over 150 pro Biafra activists and forced some of their arrested colleagues to bury them in shallow graves.
“Some bodies of those killed were forced to be buried in secret locations by their arrested colleagues who after burying their slain colleagues at gunpoint, got tied, blinded and shot dead within the secret locations where their slain colleagues were forcefully buried.”
In a statement signed by the board chairman of Intersociety, Emeka Umeagbalasi and Head Civil Liberties and Rule of Law, Obianuju Igboeli titled, “How The Nigerian Army Massacred 150 Pro-Biafra Activists and Hurriedly Declared Them Terrorists So As To Escape Accountability,” Intersociety alleged that the defence headquarters supervised the massacre which included the killing of defenceless civilian population of both South-East and South-south extraction.
The statement said: “The Army massacre operation was carried out under the guise of “September 2017 Nigerian Army Python Dance 11 in Southeast Nigeria, executed by the Chief of Army Staff and backed by the Defence Headquarters.
“We had further informed statistically that the Army massacre took place in three locations of Afara-Ukwu in Umuahia with not less than 105 deaths; Isiala-Ngwa with not less than 20 deaths and Aba with not less than 25 deaths.”
“While the massacre at Afara-Ukwu lasted for three hours, having started at about 3.26pm on 14th September 2017 and ended before 6.30pm same day; the Isiala-Ngwa killings majorly took place on 12th September 2017 at Isiala-Ngwa Military Checkpoint. The Aba Army shootings and killings took place between late night of 12th September and early hours to later morning of 13th September 2017 as well as on 14th September 2017.”
Intersociety said, I”t was further discovered that not more than 15% of the bodies of the slain were recovered and interred by their families, while the rest were picked by soldiers of the Nigerian Army and taken to undisclosed locations where they must have been buried in shallow and mass graves-a pattern that had been consistently used by the Army since August 2015 when the violent crackdown on unarmed and defenseless pro Biafra activists was launched by the present central Government of President Muhammadu Buhari.”
“The manner and pattern of killing of eight unarmed pro Biafra activists whose lifeless bodies were found in one of the bushes in Umuahia days after the Afara-Ukwu Army massacre of 14th September 2017; clearly showed that some bodies of those killed at massacre arena were forced to be buried in secret locations by their arrested colleagues who, after burying their slain colleagues at gunpoint, got tied, blinded and shot dead within the secret locations where their slain colleagues were forcefully buried.”
“The eight bodies found in one of the said bushes had their hands tied behind their back with marine rope and possibly blinded before being shot dead to erase traces of culpability or accountability of the culprit soldiers. Technically, it is an act of impossibility to tie or chain or rope a human body after he or she had been killed.”
“Owing to threats of invasion, violence, death or arrest, detention and torture by soldiers and police, Special anti Robbery Squad, SARS, operatives; most families and friends or associates of the slain are forced to keep perpetual mute over their “missing” loved ones.
“These have also forced them into mourning the slain in acute silence, shock, frustration, anguish, sorrow and anger. Some of them willing to seek justice including open inquiries over the whereabouts of their loved ones are hampered by teething poverty level in the country.
“Totality of these has further resulted in untimely death of some of them while scores of others have become victims of traumatic disorder and post stress disorde. Many children of the slain victims investigated recently by our organization are either out of school or relocated to sub standard children’s schools. Some are barely fed with three meals per day”